Chapter 18

"We should request to change partners, that's the only way." Jess blurted out of nowhere as Shaun sat right across from her.

A few hours later after the instruction had been cascaded, most of the artists started to bond with their partners and brainstorm on what arrangement they would set for the song as well as what topic they would focus on in the lyrics.

Shaun and Jess on the other hand were still battling if they should keep this partnership running. There's just so much history involved that Jess was worried it would have an impact on their final work. She rather chooses to be with other musicians than to be subjected to this awkwardness.

"I'm cool working with you though, are you that uncomfortable with me around?" Shaun uttered with a hint of tease in his voice.

Jess's eyes snapped and suddenly Shaun's demeanor changed.

"Will you stop fooling around Shaun? This is not the time to humor our situation. You and I know that this is not going to work." she blurted in frustration.

Shaun leaned forward on his seat as his eyes intently stared at Jess. "This might not be our ideal setup, it funny that fate threw us a curveball, we both didn't ask for this, but it happened Jess, now, if we go to the committee and say we asked to change our partners, what's the reason you will be giving them? That we don't like each other? or, because we had a previous relationship that ended in a bitter place?" he started trying to make a point.

Jess sighed, realizing his words. "So, what now?" she asked sounding defeated.

Shaun smiled, "Now we do what we ought to do"

Jess looked at the man she loathed for months now; how did they even get here? However she would have to agree with Shaun, she needs to set aside any personal issues they have for each other, they need to do what they ought to do and with that conclusion, Jess let go of the air she didn't realize she was holding in. She will act as a professional from hereon, this is going to be her baptism in the music industry, how to deal with unwanted presence while still able to work collaboratively with them.

Rick was roaming around the hotel lobby grounds to find one person, being a veteran in songwriting exempting him from the activity of the new artists; however, he will serve as a consultant if needed. That would also mean he has more control of his time and so he wanted to use it to sort out some things personally as well as keep an eye on Jess and Shaun.

He cleared his throat. What's the intention again? He paused and thought.

He doesn't trust Shaun, he concluded.

He walked past several musicians as they were all preoccupied with the task given when he suddenly saw a glimpse of the woman he was looking for. He stood there frozen as Rick's eyes unintentionally studied Jess's gestures and for some reason, it seemed to be in slow motion. He laughed at the thought while it was happening, isn't this the reason he chooses not to watch chick flick movies? How does each scene project a slow pace to emphasize the girl's action while the guy can take the time to be mesmerized?

Rick coughed painfully but went back to look at Jess nonetheless, she was looking down as she was busy scribbling something in her notes, a few strands of hair escaped from her ponytail that covered the side of her face, she then played the loose strands as she twirls it in her fingers gently then settled it at the back of her ear. There was nothing special about what she did, but Rick was fixated, he then noticed her brows crossed while she played the pen with her thumb and brought it to her cheek, she suddenly smacked her lips, and it prompted her side dimples.

"Oh look at those dimples!" he thought. He had not noticed those before.

He would have lingered there longer when he suddenly noticed Shaun moved closer to Jess and wiped something off her face.