Chapter 10

The day has come for the annual music awards to take place Jess was there early and feasted her eyes on the grand ballroom of the main event. Her eyes sparkled with anticipation, every corner of the arrangement was carefully crafted and planned, no wonder that this was indeed a night that everyone was looking forward to. The designs reminded her of a pleasant fantasy world full of sparkles and glitter. The arc which was the main attraction was filled with geode material and it was magical. When she was younger, she was fascinated by those rocks as she learned about them in her books, these were plain on the outside but can have beautiful crystals on the inside. They were also formed in the bubbles in volcanic rock. Over time, dissolved minerals seep into a hollow area and harden into an outer shell creating rock material, such a precious mineral that people don't usually notice the first time is now the center of attraction.

The stage was of these shapes that look very angular and complex. And the surfaces were covered with these very, very small crystals. She also noticed that the set changes dramatically depending on the lighting. It can be lit in a variety of colors. By itself, it's neutral and silver, but the lights give it a different look. They have intense blues and red and they make it pink at some point. It was indeed very versatile in that way. The creative minds of the stage director and the whole crew were admirable, they made such a big change in the setup that coincided with the theme of tonight's event. 

Warm hands touched Jess's bare back and she suddenly jolted. When she looked up it was Alexander.

"Are you ready for this?" he asked as the smile never left his face.

She was tempted to respond No but decided against it. She offered a small nod instead and his face lit up even more.

The preparation for this event wasn't easy Rick Reed never cast his shadow during the entire ordeal, so Alexander decided to have her play her part alone and thus she has no clear picture of how they can blend the harmonies which added to the pressure. In the end, she can lose everything after this night while Rick Reed would have to move on and break another album perhaps unscathed. If only he had shown up even once in those practice sessions so that they could work together, it would have made a huge difference to her confidence.

"Remember what you practiced, just do what you have to do, and Rick will do the rest. Don't be nervous okay, I believe in you" Alexander offered some words of encouragement.

She nodded unsure of what he meant.

Jess decided to calm her nerves and walked towards the couch. The production crew was all caught up with the last-minute preparation, there were also famous music artists who had their makeup done and the final construction of their outfits and their lines preoccupied everyone. She then thought that everyone had their role to play.

She looked upon her dress, never in a million years did she believe that she would have the chance to wear a dress this fancy.

It was a form-fitting, strapless, gold sequin dress. It accentuates some good features of her body that she didn't even realize she had, her curves were emphasized and showed enough skin that made her look dashing, it made her look confident even though it was the absolute opposite of what she felt inside.

Jess's hair was carefully fixed to match her dress as the hairdresser managed to create a voluminous champagne curl that cascaded over her bare shoulders, wafting a delicate touch to her overall look.

When her make-up was done, she paused and wondered if it was hers.

"You are lovely, I don't have to do much since you already have a good bone structure, and your eyes, speak depth" the make-up artist commented which made her blush.