Prologue

Jess was staring at the indigo sky feeling more lifeless than ever. She walked down the sidewalk, as her nose picked up the salty scent of the sea breeze. She looked ahead and saw the gleaming beach in the far distance. Before her was the tranquil city along with the endless pitch sea sandwiched by the golden beach that stretched across for miles. Her eyes caught the incredible beauty of the city skyscrapers that stood hundreds of meters tall, and they probably had also captured the sight of many other tourists. Some people were jogging at that time and others were bike riding as the laughter immersed continuously within the area. She glimpsed at her watch and her eyes were fixated once again on the horizon just as the yellow sunset from her current view. The sight was incredible but along the slow cloth darkness in her surroundings, her inner battle was also imminent.

She didn't realize that pain could be this dreadful. She thought that she had gotten used to the hollow feeling from within, even at a young age she didn't feel wanted by the family that she was born with, in fact, they were the first beings to abandon her and toss her aside. Back then, she didn't understand the cruelty that she had to bear. She grew up with tons of questions in her mind as to why her flesh and blood could be cold and heartless towards her.

All those times she blamed herself for not being good enough, the wrath from her mother's eyes was pure as she cast a deathful glare towards her. Her young consciousness knew that she was never the daughter they wanted. The distaste grew into hate and every day young Jess faded into the background of her world where she found comfort from the darkness lurking in her youth.

The silent whimpers were her salvation from the sadness that troubled her. She can no longer remember how many times her tears fell. She has been a crybaby ever since. She smiled weakly at the thought.

She breathed. She thought that she was strong enough. She thought she had overcome this phase of her life and would not cry anymore, but she was wrong.

For this time, the person who tore her heart into pieces was the person she loved the most more than anything in the world.

Her eyes shifted to the side again and became glazed with a glassy layer of tears. As she blinked, they dripped from her eyelids and slid down her cheeks. She bit her lip tightly to hide any sound that wanted to escape from her mouth; her heart sank.

Her lower lip quivered as words slowly made their way out of her mouth. "Why..." She began, yet what followed was engulfed in tremors.

Jess was in that state for a few minutes. She let her heartache pour. She didn't mind the curious eyes of the people around her.

She breathed; she realized that the sun had disappeared completely. Streetlights created a candid effect, then her eyes saw the dazzling smile of that person, his billboard stood gallantly as his face lit proudly, mocking her.

Jess suddenly clenched her fist. She wiped her tears back as a flash of lengthy memories showed in her mind one by one, her childhood recollection and all the things that man had ever done to her. She was a fool! She has given everything to that person and offered her soul for his happiness. She was a willing victim; she was a prey offering herself to the devil himself. She turned blind because of what? A tiny hope that he will love her back? Or a delusion that he loves her too?

Pathetic!

Jess suddenly felt rejected, she clenched her jaw and a quick rush of blood burst making her flush even though the cold wind was blowing in her face, she suddenly felt the need to lash out! She tried to cool off as she bowed her head down momentarily. When she turned at last to face up there was no trace of tears anymore, not in her eyes or of track marks on her reddening face. Her eyes were narrowed, rigid, cold, hard. Something within her has awakened.

Pointing at the photo of that man in front of her she screamed!

"Shaun! I will never forgive you! Mark my words, I will not stop unless you come crawling back to me and beg for forgiveness! I will make you pay! I will have my revenge!" She paused and with full determination she uttered.

"That is a promise!"