Chapter 37

Both men walk towards the seafront, a few feet away from the beach house. Rick wants to make sure that Jess won't be disturbed by any forms of conversation that might occur later.

Shaun breathed in; he noticed the white-bound birds against the brilliant rays from the wind-dappled seawater. It was a scenery of infinite blue. The afternoon sun painted his skin warmly, he stretched his arms trying to loosen up his stiff muscles.

They sat together in a well-crafted wooden chair under the shade of trees.

"Why are you here?" Rick blurted.

Shaun turned his face towards him and sighed. "I heard about Kris lately. Jess called me and I wanted to be here for her in a flash, but I was on a road tour." He replied.

Rick didn't really bother about Shaun's reasons, but he sensed that he truly cared for Jess, which is undeniably annoying.

"Was it you Shaun?" Rick asked directly, cutting to the chase. After his initial thoughts got settled, he realized that Jess wouldn't be making that hideous accusation just to ruin herself in the process, and remembering how Shaun answered his phone call practically telling him his mother, the narrative became solid that it's him after all.

Silence fell for a sometimes as Shaun tried to battle in if he was going to be straight honest and apologize.

"I always have detestation towards you, Rick, because I thought you have it easy. Your career skyrocketed because they paved your way, and you just must walk through it. My experience was different. I must be regarded as a toy with constant discrimination because I wasn't born with a name like yours. Shaun explained.

"My life wasn't easy too Shaun" Rick replied calmly.

"I know that now. I was so wrong. When I talked to you last time, I was blinded by greed and jealousy of wanting to destroy you once and for all, first, you reigned in this industry for some time, and second, you were even clawing your way to Jess, and I wasn't amused by it. But I wasn't dipping my toes deeper and didn't realize the implications of my action towards you and Jess." He uttered genuinely.

"When I heard the news and the story surrounding your childhood and how Jess's parents intertwined with yours, I was guilt-stricken. I'm sorry, relieving that dark past that you probably want to forget was my own doing. I want to ask for forgiveness for causing trouble between you and Jessie." Shaun's voice became solemn.

Rick looked at him. "I have my fair share of imparting some trouble with Jess too. I blamed her for what happened to Iris, which is ridiculous because I know she has nothing to do with it. But my hatred towards Adam needs a displacement and I picked her to unleash my well-kept wrath. I hurt her too. That wasn't what you're doing, that was mine" he openly shared.

"And the music industry is never like a kingdom to me, the truth is, music is my therapy. It made me sane, I attempted to end my life Shaun twice" Shaun's eyes widen in shock.

"If not for music, I would have done it multiple times until I am dead. The glitters and fame were just an outcome of my personal need to cope. But now, I have Jess. I want to be better for her. I want to be whole so I can be worthy to have her. I know you love her too, but I love her more Shaun." Rick uttered in all seriousness.

He is marking what's his and he is letting Shaun know about it.

"I know and the sad thing is that she loves you too, more than what we have before." He said Shaun's voice has a mixture of acceptance and defeat. He moved his eyes away from Rick and watched the glaring sunlight beyond.

He readily stood up and spoke. "I am glad you are here with Jess, force her to eat. She can be very stubborn sometimes. She loves home-cooking meals and anything about pasta." He paused. "Take care of her Rick." He uttered and offered a handshake.