Chapter 40

The interview made a total turnaround and helped them move past the scandal. Of course, the announcement of their engagement has become the new talk in town following the gossip between Rick and Jess.

People verbalized their support and happiness as the majority went into social media to express their positive thoughts on the budding romance.

One night, Jess and Rick were lying on the bed as their arms went around each other.

"I can't believe we dodged a bullet from that interview. I thought we would mess it up." She honestly commented.

Rick smiled at her remarks. "I trusted us, I know we can get past it." He spoke.

Jess rolled her eyes thinking he has way more years of experience handling the press than her.

Rick smacked a kiss on her lips. "You are adorable." He whispered.

"You better not change your mind when I am old and gray Rick Reed. I will hold you accountable to those words." She jokingly retorted.

He laughed. "I won't change my mind. Even when you have wrinkles here and there..." he traced her face using his fingertips. "You will always be beautiful to me. Always."

His words warmed her heart and she smiled.

"Thank you... can I record this just to make sure?" She shrieked when Rick suddenly tickled her side waist as she twisted her body uncontrollably.

"Stop, stop please..." she was panting.

"Now I know your weakness..." he laughed.

He embraced her once again and closed his eyes. Feeling much contented with Jess in his arms.

****************************************

"A performance?" Rick asked as they were back in the office of Alexander.

Jess was listening intently to their conversation.

"Yes, the battle of the band will happen this month and they are asking some artists to grace the stage for the event, and they want you, Jess, and Shaun." Mr. Miller uttered clearly.

"Why is Shaun part of this?" Rick grunted.

Jess was finding this side of Rick charming. She grins.

"The album that Jess released a few months back was massively successful and one of their favorite tracks there was the collaboration with Shaun. The organizers just really want Shaun and Jess, I'm just thinking it would be much epic to have you in the mix, but if you don't want to then..." he trailed off his words.

Rick's eyes sharpen. "I'll do it, but Jess should be on my side and not with Shaun." He demanded that Alexander be scratching his head.

"Sometimes Rick you act so unreasonable," Alexander stated.

Jess laughed loudly.

On the day of the event. Jess felt the energy cascade into the air as the battle of the band took place in the stadium arena, filling the crowd with excitement from all different ages.

The air was a mixture of sweetness, where the youth tumbled into a giddy thrill- the sort that brings the most ridiculous joy. Everyone was melting into this party, melting into the beat and sweat but no one seemed to mind.

Rick, Shaun, and Jess were backstage finalizing their hair and makeup. She suddenly feels like a schoolgirl dressing up for her character. She is embodying rock and roll fashion sense. She was wearing a leather jacket, with a crop top exposing her belly and a textured skirt and sneakers.

Rick's eyes landed on her bare stomach, and she saw a different expression in there. He didn't verbalize his thoughts, but Jess knows he's not happy. She smirked.

"I kind of like this version of you Jessie..." Shaun commented garnering a whistle of compliment from him.

She smiled. "Thanks, Shaun" she answered.

"Keep your eyes off my fiancée Shaun, I'm warning you..." Rick uttered and Shaun laughed at his comment. He winked at Jess, and they smiled not minding Rick's hollow threat.

The three of them stood gallantly as they waited for their performance to happen. When they heard their names called and a scream from the audience was gathered, they ushered themselves out with exhilaration. Jess was stunned to see how massive the stage was.

Rick waves engaged the audience and Shaun blew a kiss in the process. Jess realized these two artists knew how to play this game. She grinned.

The string and drums started to roll, the heat of the afternoon delight was unreal and the performance for the festivities brought much excitement, it unlocked the adrenaline and allowed it to play and grow as one with the crowd.

Jess took the stage first, giving all her best vocals. 

Just a small-town girl
Livin' in a Lonely World
She took the midnight train to go anywhere

Shaun went in following her lead and giving his best show as well, not allowing herself to be outshined by Jess and Rick.

Just a city boy
Born and raised in south Detroit
He took the midnight train to go anywhere

Rick projected using his cowboy hat went to Jess's side and uttered the lyrics beautifully and effortlessly. His high notes were unbelievable, and Rick's vocal ranges are just straight-out crazy.

A singer in a smoky room
A smell of wine and cheap perfume
For a smile, they can share the night
It goes on and on, and on, and on

The three voices blended perfectly, they were all giving and taking without taking control. Each vibrato worked harmoniously as Jess anchored the soprano side of it. The melody and rhythm were beautiful, adding to their confidence to push it more.

Strangers waiting
Up and down the boulevard
Their shadows searched in the night
Streetlights, people
Living just to find emotion
Hiding somewhere in the night

Don't stop believing
Hold on to that feelin'
Streetlights, people

People were mesmerized by the exchange of their performance, the audience jammed at each bang of the percussion and string giving a different energy each time the music escalated. It exudes a feeling of euphoria and enjoyment.

When their performance ended, it was Epic! A roar and chanting echoed making Jess, Rick, and Shaun feel proud of their show.

Their laughter burst into thin air as the three of them embraced each other, crushing Jess in the process. It was a massive success.

Rick kissed Jess's cheek resulting in an uncontrollable blush from her. Another round of applause was heard while Shaun watched the exchange with clear humor in his eyes.

"Get a room you two" he jokingly said.

The three of them took the stage one more time and bowed to the audience as their hearts filled with much hope for what lay ahead. A future to dream about and healing, ready to face the challenges ahead. Their fate might have been twisted by greed, grief, and sorrow in the beginning but it paved the way for love, friendship, and music.

Their hearts are in the right place this time.

"I love you..." Rick whispered amid the loud noise from the crowd.

Jess stared at the man who captured her heart. She smiled warmly at him. "I love you too Rick, forever and always."

The End