Chapter 33

Jess was trailing a path just like in a movie where the main character is lost in the woods and has never been retrieved from then on.

She hit herself on the head. Sometimes she has a sick sense of humor, subjecting herself to the remote possibility that it can happen. The entire villa is set above the hills and no car can enter the estate because Rick wanted it to be that way. You must do it on foot and walk a few meters away to reach the old house.

Alexander shared with her some folklore stories about the manor, this has been in Rick's family for generations. When Iris was alive, this was her home of prestige and luxury.

Jess was out of breath when she finally reached the gates of the massive garden. The place hasn't been taken care of. She imagines how beautiful it would look to see various wildflowers growing and sprouting during spring. She looked up and saw the house made of brick and stone standing gallantly in the middle of nowhere. The old house with its centuries-settled foundations brought a feeling of awe to the landscape and Jess carefully welcomed herself in.

She was feeling a little spooked knowing that this was a typical haunted house scene and either ghosts or evildoers lurked in.

Why does she always reference things based on movies? It's not helping her mentally.

She entered the premises and tried to see if Rick was there. After all, considering this location was just a wild guess.

She walked towards the entrance door and was about to knock on the solid wood when she heard a splash of water from behind the villa. Her curiosity got the better of her and she decided to walk along a narrow path at the side of the house, when she reached the end, she inhaled sharply as the scenery in front of her looked like it was taken from a beautiful painting.

A massive pool sits in the middle of it while the fresh dewy lawn grass is trimmed down intentionally. Jess feasted her eyes on how clean the water was, sparkling against the beaming sun. Someone is taking care of this part of the house, that's for sure. The entrance porch was undeniably devastating but behind it all lies a treasure you wouldn't expect to find. A perfect place to hide from all the chaos of the world.

The side door from the kitchen area suddenly opened and Rick was ushered outside the secret garden, like a prince being transported to a different realm. Her imagination was cut short when she saw a glimpse of his eyes, they were a mixture of shock, hesitation, and anger.

She gulped.

"How did you find me?" he asked calmly.

"Ahhh, well... It's Bennie and Alexander, they figured out you might be here" she stuttered.

She studied him and saw a ting of dark circles underneath, her heart went to him. She wanted to run to his side and kiss him.

"Rick... I." Her words were interrupted when he suddenly spoke.

"Have you read the news?" His eyes darkened.

She nodded, not breaking her gaze.

"Is that why you ran away from me? Because you were disgusted with my past?" He stated with a hint of accusation in his tone.

It took a moment for Jess to connect his words. Is that how it looked like when she stormed away from his house?

"Rick, let's talk. There is something I need to tell you." She stated she wanted to clear up the misunderstanding.

Rick closed their distance quickly and his towering heights were engulfing Jess. Making her feel inferior.

This is not the usual Rick she learned to care for and love. This is a different Rick. There was no humor in his demeanor, no playfulness, no usual charms. What she's seeing are dark eyes of hazel that project a different kind of hue.