Chapter 28: Poisonous Game

Word count: 1240

______________________________________

"Here's the result. It's positive. Just like we expected. Now to stop it from going fatal, you just need to stop consuming it." She spoke flipping a few pages that were clipped together before handing them to me.

"Thank you, Sparrow. I don't know what would I have done without you." I said trying to give a small smile with only the right side of my lips, but it turned more into a smirk. Our eyes locked for a moment, her dark blue eyes blurring my sight with sparkles, before she turned around and started packing her suitcase.

You know I love you guys right? And how I always say what I wear, where am I going, who is who? Well, this time I can't.

Sparrow is a deadly woman. A mysterious woman. Her identity shall never be revealed, and nobody tries to. We all respect the anonymous woman who knows everybody's secret. And if you try to find out who she is, well, let's just say the best have failed.

Finding her is pretty easy if you're highly ranked. She doesn't deal with low-status Mafia members problems.
"Here are the pills. Please be careful. Remember, one before going to sleep, and one after lunch." She said in a tone that almost sounded like she meant it. But she doesn't. She just lures you into thinking it. "Ernaline, if you ever need anyone to figure out who is doing this to you, I'm free whenever you call. I will be there for you" She hugged me and smiled sweetly, before giving me a small nod as goes to leave the hotel room. "Sparrow..." I said and she stopped. "Yes?" She turned her head towards me waiting for me to continue. "Thank you for this. Please be careful, if you're seen with me, it might end up bad. I have few tiny problems with Russian Mafia." I spoke calmly, giving her a wink. She nodded before leaving, not commenting on anything.

Now, I gotta figure out what to do. The poison is quite...problematic.

Somebody is poisoning me. It wasn't the first time this happened. A few people have left snakes in my room as a gift. Very kind people.

Whoever it was, he had to put it in food. That's the only thing I'm consuming from my plate. It might not make sense but thinks like drinks are easy to mix with other peoples glasses and more people might end up poisoned. It could be anyone who offered, made, are brought me food. So around 10 men, 4 maids, that fucking doctor and...

Should I keep, them as suspects? Should I keep James, Steve, Rosa and Alex on the list too? No, I shouldn't. James would never do such a thing, and neither would the rest of them. They are like family to me. The one I never had but wanted to have.

I-I don't know.

Maybe I should go home. I want my relationship with James to work. I want it. I need to be honest with him. I will tell him, and he could help me.

As I drove silently through the streets of New York, I get a phone call. Weird. It's calling from an anonymous number. Picked up the call, and connected it to my AirPods. It went along these lines:

"Hello?"

-"Hi. Good evening. Is Ms. Fiaz on the phone?"

"Yes, can I know who this may be?"

-"I'm Mia, police officer from NYC central police station. Are you free to come in?"

"Right now? I mean I am kinda in a hurry, but if it's really important..."

-"Yes please, we would like it if you could come right now. How long will it take you to get here?"

"Around 10 minutes ma'am. I'm driving nearby"

-"Alright. I will be waiting for you at the door."

"Okay...goodbye"

And the woman disconnected.

I mean, what could be happening now? There's probably nothing to worry about, I will just go in and deal with whatever it is.

When I finally arrived, which wasn't long after the call, there was indeed a woman standing in front of the door. She had black hair and dark brown eyes matching her skin that shined in autumn sun giving it bronze highlights. "Are you Mia?"

"Yes. Follow me in."

The halls of the police station were long and there were multiple rooms on each side of mine. I watched as the police officer opened the door. Stepping in slowly, I was met by two more police officers, but they looked more like some higher up ranked ones.

In what shit have I put myself? I swear if one of them snitched to cops something for good money I will-
"Ms. Fiaz, please sit down." I was interrupted by a firm voice coming from one of two men that were standing there, and I followed the instructions. I sat down slowly and carefully. "What is going in? Why am I here?" My voice was firm and steady, I asked the same guy that spoke moments ago while firmly gazing into his cold harsh eyes. Damn. He was hot. I most certainly felt attraction towards that strong standing figure.

I wonder how many minutes would I need to kill him.

"Miss, I'm here to tell you some terrible news, but I need you to stay calm."

"Okay..." I said shifting in my chair a bit

"Your father has been killed two weeks ago" Ohh so that's why they wanted to talk to me. I completely forgot about that bitch. Well now, I just have to act surprised and like I care. "Wha-what?! He was killed!? How did that happen?!" My eyes started watering, my lips shivering and my voice broke. I was panicking and in complete disbelief.

Such a good actor.

"Unfortunately ma'am that's true. We believe that he was involved in crime group." Is that what they call us? Crime group? Well, maybe they just don't know how deep he was in it.

"We have monitored him for 3 months now, due to suspicious acts." The man behind him finally spoke.
"When was the last time you heard from your father? Did you have any special contact with him?" The hot man said. I wanted to ask, if you monitored him, wouldn't you know, but I didn't.

"I...the last time I saw him was 3 months ago. We had a horrible relationship but he's still my father and before he visited me we haven't seen each other for years. Who would do such a thing?" I lied smoothly, my body fakely agreeing with every word I said. "Do you know if he maybe had some enemies? A cartel? Did you maybe experience any of it?" The super hot tall man asked me again, clearly at the top of this investigation. "Experience it? God no. I'm a businesswoman with a high status and empowerment, I believe I shall not go near such things." Something rich people don't lie is about messing with illegal stuff and low-class fields, and now, I can use it to match the profile of the perfect rich woman.

One more lie, lie and lie and lies. I lied smoothly throughout the questions. One thing they don't know was, I do this shit too.

My priority was to get home and tell James and Natasha, that I was getting poisoned.