II. ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴀʏᴏʀ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴛs

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝𝑠ℎ𝑒'𝑠 𝑎 𝑏𝑎𝑑𝑎𝑠𝑠𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝑎 𝑏𝑖𝑔 ℎ𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑡

❝𝑠ℎ𝑒'𝑠 𝑎 𝑏𝑎𝑑𝑎𝑠𝑠
𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝑎 𝑏𝑖𝑔 ℎ𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑡.❞︎

─︎ 𝑟.ℎ. 𝑆𝑖𝑛
▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

Wanting his daughter to delve into more of the town, Alaric heaved her to The Grill, which seemed awfully popular. They both sat at a table, feeling eyes on them.

"Do I sense a romance story brewing?" Madeline teased as she noticed Jenna and her nephew glancing at her father.

Alaric chuckled. "That's Jeremy. I think that's his guardian. I gave him a second chance at this semester's grades."

"Well, that's sweet," Madeline said, smiling as she schemed to bring the two adults together. "We should go say hi."

"I don't want to disturb them." Alaric speculated, skimming his fingertips against his cup's rim. His daughter wasn't taking no for an answer. Swiftly, she hauled him out of his seat, directing him to Jenna.

"Jeremy. What's up, man?" Alaric questioned, making a cognitive memo to scold Madeline after this. "This is my daughter, Madeline." Discreetly, Madeline sent Jeremy a gesture that pointed toward the two adults, expressing her idea of getting them to know each other more. Jeremy concealed a smile and nodded at the girl, catching on to her plan.

"Well, it's nice to meet her. This is my Aunt Jenna." Jeremy introduced.

"Alaric Saltzman. It's nice to meet you." Madeline's father smiled.

"Jeremy was just telling me about his paper. Thank you for giving him another chance." Jenna thanked, grinning as she looked up at the history teacher.

"I wanted to make a good impression," Alaric stated. "Plus, I have a teenager myself, so I have a good understanding that kids have more meaningful stuff going on than homework and grades." The grown-ups eyed each other as the teenagers smiled, pleased that their plan was functioning.

"I'll be back, dad," Madeline whispered before leaving the group alone, craving a different beverage. Silently, she sat near the bar waiting for a nonalcoholic drink (it was nonalcoholic only because her father was still there). Unexpectedly, a man sat beside her, a smirk plastered on his face.

"I haven't seen you around here." the sapphire blue-eyed man declared, rendering Madeline to make eye contact with him. Surprisingly, the eyes the man possessed shot fear down her spine, making her suppress her eyes from widening. Apprehension was quickly replaced with resentment as the man was oblivious to who she was. She had found the man who annihilated her mother in front of her and her father, Damon Salvatore. That undoubtedly guaranteed an urgent conversation with her father.