XIX. ᴛʜᴇ ᴡɪɴᴅᴏᴡ ᴀɴᴅ ɪsᴏʙᴇʟ's ᴍɪsᴛᴀᴋᴇ

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝𝑠ℎ𝑒 𝑓𝑜𝑢𝑛𝑑𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑐𝑜𝑙𝑜𝑟𝑠 𝑡𝑜 𝑝𝑎𝑖𝑛𝑡 ℎ𝑖𝑚𝑤ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑙𝑑ℎ𝑎𝑑 𝑙𝑒𝑓𝑡 ℎ𝑖𝑚 𝑔𝑟𝑎𝑦

❝𝑠ℎ𝑒 𝑓𝑜𝑢𝑛𝑑
𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑐𝑜𝑙𝑜𝑟𝑠 𝑡𝑜 𝑝𝑎𝑖𝑛𝑡 ℎ𝑖𝑚
𝑤ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑙𝑑
ℎ𝑎𝑑 𝑙𝑒𝑓𝑡 ℎ𝑖𝑚 𝑔𝑟𝑎𝑦.❞︎

─︎ 𝑎𝑡𝑡𝑖𝑐𝑢𝑠
▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

How wonderful! Isobel wasn't exactly the same as the other vampires Madeline knew. She was secured and disconnected from humanity. Emotions didn't do her much good, so she barricaded them out and flipped the switch. In reality, the meeting was to threaten Elena into getting Jonathan Gilbert's invention. Breathing deeply, the vampire hunter rethought everything befalling in her life.

Attempting to be more engaged in producing the float she devised, Madeline sighed, striding towards Caroline to ask her a question. A familiar silhouette behind her startled the hunter. Craving to confront the individual behind her, Madeline turned around and reprimanded herself immediately when she discovered who it was.

Isobel.

"Isobel," Madeline whispered, remembering not to call the woman her mother. "What are you doing here?" The vampire clamped a leather handbag close to her body and wore a necklace that allowed her to traipse around in the sunshine.

"Wow, you're using my name now?" the vampire questioned, raising her brows in phony surprise. "I am your mother. I am trying to be more entangled in your life."

"You lost that right when you abandoned me." Madeline scoffed, trying to veer away before her mother latched onto her wrist and squeezed a bit too rough. "Let go of me."

"Since Elena neglected to provide what I want so far, maybe you will better help," Isobel responded, dismissing her daughter's demand. "I have been studying. Let's see if I got this right." Slanting her head around, Isobel focused Madeline's vigilance on the other students working tirelessly. "There is the little Gilbert boy. You may not hang out a lot, but you two take care of each other and see each other as siblings, regardless. Caroline, your best friend, the obnoxious blonde who gave me all this knowledge, by the way. I am a complete foreigner to her, and she wouldn't stop babbling." Slightly clamping her jaw, Madeline's bitterness doubled as her mother referred to Caroline as obnoxious.

Isobel continued, "Bonnie, one of your closest friends that you helped through a tough time with her grandmother's death. I am going to stay away from her, considering she is a witch. Matt Donovan, the miserable kid, is alone, but you sometimes help him out. He appreciates your help, and it would be a real shame if anything would happen to these people." Of course, the vampire would manipulate her friends as leverage against Madeline, and it made her insides churn in ambiguity. Ever since she learned about her mother turning into a vampire, she fantasized about their reconciliation, which contained a comforting hug and an explanation. This absolutely wasn't it.