XLI. ɢᴜᴀʀᴅɪᴀɴ ᴀɴᴅ ɢʀᴏᴠᴇ ʜɪʟʟ ᴄᴇᴍᴇᴛᴇʀʏ

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑟𝑠 𝑏𝑙𝑖𝑛𝑘𝑒𝑑𝑎𝑠 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑦 𝑤𝑎𝑡𝑐ℎ𝑒𝑑 ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑐𝑎𝑟𝑒𝑓𝑢𝑙𝑙𝑦,𝑗𝑒𝑎𝑙𝑜𝑢𝑠 𝑜𝑓 ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑠ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑒

𝑎𝑠 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑦 𝑤𝑎𝑡𝑐ℎ𝑒𝑑 ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑐𝑎𝑟𝑒𝑓𝑢𝑙𝑙𝑦,
𝑗𝑒𝑎𝑙𝑜𝑢𝑠 𝑜𝑓 ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑠ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑒.❞︎

─︎ 𝑎𝑡𝑡𝑖𝑐𝑢𝑠

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

"Hello, girls," Isobel said, the hostility stacking up in Maddie's chest becoming harder to maintain. "It's nice to see you two again."

Jenna looked at the teenage girls, the enormous weight of betrayal making her heart ache. "Again?"

"So you're the woman who's dating my husband. I need to speak to them. May I come in?" Isobel questioned, and Maddie and Elena were quick to oppose the suggestion.

"Do not invite her in." Madeline urged, feeling immoral as she glimpsed into Jenna's eyes.

Isobel acknowledged, "But I need to talk to you guys, Maddie."

"Do not fucking call me that." Madeline snapped, shutting the door with a slam and accidentally awakening her twin. Pushing past the feelings brewing after seeing her mother again, she evaluated Jenna's features, heart pricking as she witnessed the tears forming.

"You two knew she was still alive?" Jenna let out, the anguish in her voice unmistakable. "Rick? John? Pietro? Did they know?"

"Let me explain, Jenna," Elena said, but she didn't want to hear it. Locking herself in her room, Jenna ignored the girls' pleads for her to unlock the door, wondering what else they could be withholding.

°︎•︎∙︎☽∙︎•︎°︎

Jenna had left to live on campus, unable to dwell in the house where so many secrets were being conserved.

"Let her go," John said, appearing from the kitchen as Jenna slammed the door. "It's better that she's not here, what with everything that's going on. But maybe had you been a little more honest with her from the beginning ─︎."

Madeline and her father lost any sliver of composure. Alaric punched the uncle in the face, feeling satisfaction as his fist collided roughly with the bastard. Shoving him onto the ground, Madeline kicked his stomach as hard as she could, making him wheeze for air. Elena gasped in amazement, eyes wide. Pietro simply applauded them, chuckling.

"You better shut up. I still haven't gotten the proper revenge towards you for trying to kill my daughter." Alaric threatened, hands shoved in his pockets.

"Sorry, Elena," Alaric said, departing the house and urging the twins to follow. Pietro stood up, preparing to leave.

"I'm not sorry." Madeline shrugged, vacating the house with Pietro, who stuck the middle finger up at John before exiting. As they strolled down the pathway, they could hear Elena laughing at what had occurred.