VII. ᴍᴀɴɪғᴇsᴛɪɴɢ ᴀɴᴅ ɪsᴏʙᴇʟ

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝︎𝑠ℎ𝑒 𝑛𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟 𝑐𝑎𝑟𝑒𝑑 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑎 𝑐𝑟𝑜𝑤𝑛

❝︎𝑠ℎ𝑒 𝑛𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟 𝑐𝑎𝑟𝑒𝑑
𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑎 𝑐𝑟𝑜𝑤𝑛. 𝑠ℎ𝑒
𝑝𝑟𝑒𝑓𝑒𝑟𝑟𝑒𝑑
𝑎 𝑠𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑑.❞︎

─︎ 𝑅.𝐻. 𝑆𝑖𝑛
▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

"Number four, Alaric Saltzman. That certainly is a mouthful." Mrs. Lockwood announced into the microphone, allowing everyone in the compartment to hear clearly. "That's quite a mouthful. What do you do, Alaric? What are some things we should know about you?"

"I am a teacher at Mystic Falls High and a father of a teenage girl," Alaric spoke into the mic, keeping his stare on Jenna most of the time while she reciprocated the action.

"Oh, beauty, brains, and one of the best fathers in our town, ladies." the mayor's wife expressed, making Madeline grin in agreement and send her father a thumbs up. "This one's a keeper. What do you teach?"

"History," he answered, readjusting his sleeve as he looked at Damon, struggling to think after seeing the bizarre expression on the vampire's face.

"Give us a fun fact about Mystic Falls. Something crazy." Mrs. Lockwood continued, holding the mic close to the history teacher. Alaric sought to come up with something, but soon enough, the mayor had made up an excuse and moved on to the last bachelor, Damon Salvatore (who she was particularly fond of).

"Now, Damon Salvatore." the woman declared. "We don't have much on you."

"Well, I am tough to fit on a card." Damon retorted, making Madeline scoff as she shared a look with her father, knowing they were reckoning the same thing.

"Like to travel?" Mrs. Lockwood questioned, trying to get the crowd to learn more about the mysterious man.

"Definitely. L.A., New York. A couple of years ago, I was in North Carolina, near the Duke campus, actually. I think ─︎ I think Alaric went to school there. Yeah, because I know your wife did. I had a drink with her once." Mouth slightly opening in alarm and brows wrinkling together in fuming resentment, Madeline's eyes brimmed with salty tears as Elena's interest amplified tremendously.

"She was ─︎ she was a brilliant girl. I ever tell you that?" Damon said to Alaric as Stefan entered the public area and realized he was too late. Madeline turned to face him, and he felt his heart twinge in guilt when he saw the grief and fury demonstrated in her facial details. "Cause she was absolutely delicious. Mmm!"

Clenching her jaw, she and Elena rushed outside, not being able to withstand being in the same room with him.

"Damon was the vampire that killed her?" Elena blurted out to Stefan and Madeline, tears emerging in her coffee-colored eyes.