XXXIX. ᴅɪɴɴᴇʀ ᴀɴᴅ ᴅᴇssᴇʀᴛ

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝𝑎𝑐𝑟𝑜𝑠𝑠 𝑎 𝑟𝑜𝑜𝑚𝑡𝑎𝑛𝑔𝑙𝑒𝑑 𝑢𝑝 𝑖𝑛 ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑖𝑚𝑎𝑔𝑖𝑛𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑦 ℎ𝑎𝑑 𝑠𝑝𝑒𝑛𝑡 𝑎 𝑙𝑖𝑓𝑒𝑡𝑖𝑚𝑒 𝑡𝑜𝑔𝑒𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑏𝑦 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑡𝑖𝑚𝑒 ℎ𝑒 𝑠𝑎𝑖𝑑 ℎ𝑒𝑙𝑙𝑜

❝𝑎𝑐𝑟𝑜𝑠𝑠 𝑎 𝑟𝑜𝑜𝑚
𝑡𝑎𝑛𝑔𝑙𝑒𝑑 𝑢𝑝 𝑖𝑛 ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑖𝑚𝑎𝑔𝑖𝑛𝑎𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛
𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑦 ℎ𝑎𝑑 𝑠𝑝𝑒𝑛𝑡 𝑎 𝑙𝑖𝑓𝑒𝑡𝑖𝑚𝑒 𝑡𝑜𝑔𝑒𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟
𝑏𝑦 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑡𝑖𝑚𝑒 ℎ𝑒 𝑠𝑎𝑖𝑑 ℎ𝑒𝑙𝑙𝑜.❞︎

─︎ 𝑎𝑡𝑡𝑖𝑐𝑢𝑠

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

Damon's new compelled girlfriend, Andie, recommended a dinner party, which Madeline knew was going to end in disaster. In an attempt to comfort her, Pietro volunteered to join, assuring that the event would be over soon enough. Alaric, unsurprisingly, did not find the dinner okay. Warning Damon with a stern voice not to get Jenna or the twins hurt, he could only hope the blue-eyed vampire would listen. To make it worse, John had invited himself, annoying everyone.

When his eyes connected with Madeline's, he already regretted entering the house, holding back a shudder. She smirked, "Hey, John. How's the finger? Did the doctors manage to put it back on?"

"Hello, Madeline," he muttered, rolling his eyes and endeavoring to seem fearless.

Madeline smiled, tilting her head as she analyzed the Gilbert's demeanor. "Do you want to reschedule our fight? Your little friends stopped me from doing anything serious. Let's have a fair one this time."

Pietro clutched her arm, squeezing it slightly and implying to monitor her resentment. Noticing the individual he wasn't quite familiar with, John asked, "Who's this?"

"I'm Pietro, Madeline's twin brother," Pietro said bitterly, his own animosity simmering. "I know all about you, John."

"All good things I hope." John chuckled nervously, and Pietro's glint of contempt ascertained otherwise.

Pietro replied, "Trust me, it's nothing good." Truthfully, John slightly feared Madeline, if not more, and now there was another one of her.

°︎•︎∙︎☽∙︎•︎°︎

After conversing and eating at the dinner table, Damon discovered Elijah needed to find a witch burial ground to do the ritual. Trying her hardest not to ask about the missing component of the spell and blow their cover, Madeline gnawed the food she prepared, glaring at the Gilbert uncle every once in a while.

Gaining a concerned message from Stefan, she realized the dagger Damon so desperately wanted to use on Elijah would kill any vampire who wielded it, meaning the only viable people to do it were Maddie, Pietro, Alaric, and John. However, she knew John would be too much of a coward to carry out the scheme. Comprehending she left Damon alone with the Original vampire, she scrambled to where they stood, deterring the Salvatore's plan.

"What are you doing here, Mads?" Damon said, his voice trying not to mention his true motive. His fingertips were touching the dagger, but they were quickly retracted.

"Um, dessert!" Madeline said, saying the first thing that came to mind. "We didn't get dessert, and I am sure you wouldn't want to miss that. Elijah, you're needed in the kitchen. Jenna was determined to make one dish and refuses my help."

"Well, I wouldn't want to keep them waiting," Elijah said, ambling away and leaving Damon to silently scold the hunter. Frustrated, Madeline snatched a piece of paper and a pencil, scribbling a brief explanation that he would die if he wielded the dagger. Of course, John had planned for his death to happen. He couldn't be trusted. Feeling like they had spoiled him of all the fun, Damon scowled, pondering who could take his place.

Furiously, he gestured to the dagger and pointed to Maddie, indicating she would be the one to stab the Original. Unable to change his mind, Madeline sighed, nodding as she braced for the worst.

°︎•︎∙︎☽∙︎•︎°︎

With Jenna away from the area and Andie distracting Elijah in his seat at the dinner table, Madeline knew if she wanted to strike, it had to be soon.

"So, I know this is a social thing, but I would love to ask you some more questions about the work you're doing here," Angie said, sitting across from the old vampire.

"I'd love to answer," Elijah said politely as Damon approached. Needing her notebook, she sent Madeline to grab it from her bag, allowing her to recoil from the conversation. Keeping the forced discussion going, Damon ranted about how horrible John was, not caring if he was also present at the dinner table. Breathing in, Maddie located the dagger, making it hover in the air as her brother stood beside her, nodding in encouragement.

Swooshing through the air, the weapon was forced through Elijah's chair and into his heart with her telekinesis, making him groan in pain. Standing up, everyone watched as his body desiccated, hoping it would now stay that way. Realizing the new powers the girl possessed, John's eyes widened, noticing the scarlet glinting in her pupils and veering around her hands.

"There," Madeline whispered as Damon prepared to take the body away, ripping out the dagger and setting it on the table.

Damon congratulated, "Good job, Ginny."

"Just hurry. I personally need dessert after that." Madeline murmured.

"How long have you had those powers?" John asked, brows puckered.

"How long will it take you to realize I don't like you, dickhead?" Madeline taunted.

°︎•︎∙︎☽∙︎•︎°︎

Pulling out the dagger had been the mistake that almost ruined everything, but, thankfully, it was mended, leaving Elijah dead. Jenna and Alaric were going through a rough patch, fighting over how much trust they had in their relationship. Turns out Elijah had a witch lift the spell placed on the tomb so he could move Katherine somewhere else and stop her scheming. Unfortunately, when he died, the compulsion he used to keep Katherine in the tomb, in the meantime, wore off.

The brunette vampire prowled the Salvatore house, circumventing everyone except Damon, wanting her presence to be a surprise when everyone woke up.

"Good job with Elijah, Leine," Stefan said, making her curious enough to eavesdrop.

Madeline chuckled lightly, "I'm not sure if it was the right thing to do, but who knows when we would get another chance like that?"

"Um, do you think I could hang out with you tomorrow? We haven't been able to hang out like usual." Stefan said, his mouth randomly creating words he hadn't processed.

"If nothing goes wrong, then yes," Madeline said, voice eager for their upcoming meeting. "Let's pray that nothing goes wrong."

"Fingers crossed." Stefan smiled. Katherine smirked, planning to become the person to prevent their hang-out session. Without a doubt, Stefan still had feelings for Maddie. She could tell by his tone and how he occasionally paused to reconsider what he would say next. Tomorrow would be a fun day for Katherine Pierce.

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎