XVII. ᴍᴏɴsᴛᴇʀ ᴀɴᴅ ʜɪs ᴅᴀʏʟɪɢʜᴛ ʀɪɴɢ

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝𝑠ℎ𝑒 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑎𝑛 𝑜𝑐𝑒𝑎𝑛𝑜𝑓 𝑠𝑢𝑛𝑠𝑒𝑡𝑠𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑟𝑖𝑝𝑡𝑖𝑑𝑒𝑠

❝𝑠ℎ𝑒 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑎𝑛 𝑜𝑐𝑒𝑎𝑛
𝑜𝑓 𝑠𝑢𝑛𝑠𝑒𝑡𝑠
𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑟𝑖𝑝𝑡𝑖𝑑𝑒𝑠.❞︎

─︎ 𝑙𝑎𝑢𝑟𝑒𝑛 𝑚. 𝑔𝑎𝑟𝑐𝑖𝑎
▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

Stefan's abrupt declaration implied a long conversation for his brother and girlfriend to have upstairs while Madeline remained where she was, expecting the vampire would meet her eyes again.

"Damon hasn't given me vervain in a while. I could flash over to the bars, and you would be dead." Stefan huffed, hoping the Saltzman would take that as a hint to move.

"You could." Madeline nodded. "I will just be dead. I'm not afraid of dying."

"Most people are." Stefan scoffed, finding her response ludicrous.

"I am afraid of not seeing the people I care about again, not dying." Madeline countered, bringing up a couple of examples. "Like my dad, you, Caroline."

"Please, just leave." Stefan snapped. Ignoring his prominent mood swings, Madeline opened the door and snatched the bottle of blood from the ground.

"Drink," she demanded, getting aggravated by his pouts.

"You must be stupid for coming in here." Stefan insulted, shaking his head.

"Oh, I am. I'm fully aware of that, Mr. Stefano, but I care about you way too much to lose you too." Madeline said, softly extending the bottle closer to his hands. Unexpectedly, the vampire lashed out and hit the bottle out of her hand.

"I said leave me alone!" Stefan prodded. Below his eyes, his veins emerged, and his face remained four inches away from hers. Instead of flinching or running away, the vampire hunter preserved her stance and didn't move, staring directly into his eyes. Her expression hadn't even altered.

"Stefan, I am not leaving," Madeline mumbled, watching as his face contorted with astonishment. Veins disappearing after his failed endeavor to scare his best friend off, he sighed and crouched down to resume remembering each despicable thing he had committed.

Exhaling, the vampire hunter sat next to him, fiddling with the rings she had adorned on her fingers. "Stefan, I don't want you to feel like you have to talk to me. If you feel more comfortable with someone else, like Elena, I will leave and bring them here."

"Madeline, I am making the decision I should have made years ago." Stefan shut his eyes, trying to disregard the heightening discomfort in his bloodthirsty physique. "I shouldn't have completed my transition. How can you even look at me after what I did to you?"

"Well, I know you did not mean to hurt me. Stefan, you were one of the people who checked up on me after the tomb vampires. You apologized a ridiculous amount of times for that. When we were taken, you tried to stop them from hurting me, even if it meant you would get hurt." Madeline said as he became captivated by her verdant eyes. "If you were the monster you describe yourself as, you wouldn't have done any of those things."