XLVIII. ᴛʀᴜᴛʜ ᴏʀ ᴡᴏʟғsʙᴀɴᴇ

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝ℎ𝑒𝑟 𝑠𝑜𝑢𝑙 𝑖𝑠 𝑎 𝑘𝑎𝑙𝑒𝑖𝑑𝑜𝑠𝑐𝑜𝑝𝑒𝑏𝑢𝑟𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑦 𝑠ℎ𝑎𝑑𝑒 𝑎𝑛𝑑 ℎ𝑢𝑒,𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑠ℎ𝑖𝑓𝑡 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑔𝑎𝑧𝑒 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟 𝑠𝑜 𝑠𝑙𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡𝑙𝑦𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑠ℎ𝑒'𝑠 𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑖𝑟𝑒𝑙𝑦 𝑛𝑒𝑤

𝑏𝑢𝑟𝑠𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑤𝑖𝑡ℎ 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟𝑦 𝑠ℎ𝑎𝑑𝑒 𝑎𝑛𝑑 ℎ𝑢𝑒,
𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑠ℎ𝑖𝑓𝑡 𝑦𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑔𝑎𝑧𝑒 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟 𝑠𝑜 𝑠𝑙𝑖𝑔ℎ𝑡𝑙𝑦
𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑠ℎ𝑒'𝑠 𝑠𝑜𝑚𝑒𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑖𝑟𝑒𝑙𝑦 𝑛𝑒𝑤.❞︎

─︎ 𝑒.ℎ

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

𝗧𝗪𝗢 𝗠𝗢𝗡𝗧𝗛𝗦 𝗟𝗔𝗧𝗘𝗥 ─︎ 𝗧𝗘𝗡𝗡𝗘𝗦𝗦𝗘𝗘

Stefan stood beside Madeline, his eyes occasionally inspecting her behavior. She had zoned out as she remained in the peculiar state of Tennessee, and Stefan discerned how she seemed remote. Having not seen her family in two months, her natural, sarcastic, yet bubbly aura slackened.

Klaus, Stefan, and her were approaching a home and its owner, who was searching for her dog, Rudy. The owner called out and became astonished when Klaus emerged out of nowhere.

In an American accent, Klaus claimed, "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

Recuperating from her scare, the girl replied, "Can I help you?"

Madeline wanted to tell her to run for her life, even if it wouldn't change the result. "Yeah, my, uh, car ran out of gas a couple of miles back. I feel like I've been walking forever. Yours is the first house I'd come to, so I was just hoping I could use your phone."

"Don't you have a cellphone?" the girl inquired, cynical.

"Yeah, the battery died," Klaus said, exhibiting his phone. "Look, promise I'm not a serial killer. I just want to use your phone."

"What a liar," Madeline muttered, viewing from afar. "That's what a serial killer would say."

Stefan smiled lightly, even with the appalling occurrences. Madeline was what made it bearable. Patiently, they continued scrutinizing the interaction, making random comments here and there.

"Ok." the human girl sighed. "Sure."

"So, can I come in?" Klaus said, just as the girl was about to walk to her house. Madeline cringed, wishing Klaus stuck with his normal accent.

The girl answered, "No. I'll get the phone and I'll bring it out to you." That would've been a smart idea if Klaus were human.

To Madeline's relief, Klaus altered his voice to his normal accent, along with his entire demeanor changing. "I thought you country folk were supposed to be more trusting."