XXXV. ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ-ʟɪsᴛs ᴀɴᴅ ᴋᴀʀᴍᴀ

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝𝑎 𝑙𝑜𝑡 𝑜𝑓 𝑝𝑒𝑜𝑝𝑙𝑒 𝑓𝑎𝑙𝑙𝑖𝑛 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒 𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑑𝑒𝑒𝑝 𝑒𝑛𝑜𝑢𝑔ℎ 𝑡𝑜 𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑦 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒

𝑖𝑛 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒 𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑑𝑒𝑒𝑝 𝑒𝑛𝑜𝑢𝑔ℎ 𝑡𝑜
𝑠𝑡𝑎𝑦 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒.❞︎

─︎ 𝑟.ℎ. 𝑠𝑖𝑛
▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

Damon, Pietro, and Stefan waited impatiently, mentally praying that the hunter would wake up. After listening to how much suffering she was in, which Stefan described in scrupulous detail, they couldn't help but feel concerned. Pietro knew this was part of the process, and he had precautioned his sister about it. Nevertheless, nothing could prepare an individual for that type of pain.

Sitting by her side, Stefan held her hand, recalling the last time he had been doing the same action when she endured Katherine's torture. Inspecting his motions, Pietro recognized how the vampire fondled loving circles onto her hand.

"Are you sure you're just a best friend?" Pietro said, discerning the need to become more involved in his sister's life. Plus, it didn't hurt to be a bit meddlesome when a boy seemed to care more for his sister than other people.

"Yeah. Your sister has been through a lot with me." Stefan automatically and unintentionally smiled at the memories, as if it were a reflex.

Damon chuckled as he eavesdropped on the discussion, entering his brother's room with a drink in his hand. "Are you really sure Ginny here is just a friend?"

"Ah, so I was right," Pietro smirked, crossing his arms as he settled in a chair, the cushion below him sinking.

"I have a girlfriend." Stefan reminded, worried the hunter would wake up and overhear their conversation. Who knows how awkward it would be?

The male twin nodded, recognizing the name. "The famous Elena. Haven't met her yet, but Madeline speaks very highly of her. And you."

"Come on, Stefan. You're in denial." Damon urged, gulping his beverage. Truthfully, Stefan wasn't in denial. He knew his feelings were real, buried in his ambivalent heart. Assessing the circumstances, he just couldn't act on them.

Stefan sighed, seeing no point in continuing the argument. Feeling Madeline's grip on his hand tighten, he realized she would soon be awakening.

"Leine?" Stefan said tenderly. Frightening the three males, her eyes opened, a dark scarlet blotting their normal, dreamy chartreuse color. "Her eyes."

"Yeah, no shit," Damon remarked, watching as the color dimmed out of sight.

"What about my eyes?" Maddie questioned, her headache subsiding as she shifted her head against the pillow. Seeing her awake and alive sent waves of relief through her best friend. When she went unconscious, he wasn't sure what to believe. His mind went to the worst. Realizing Stefan was holding her hand, she smiled, squeezing comfortingly.