VI. ʜᴇʀ ᴛʀᴜsᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ғᴏʀɢɪᴠᴇɴᴇss

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝︎𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑡 𝑜𝑓 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑙𝑑 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑏𝑙𝑎𝑐𝑘 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑤ℎ𝑖𝑡𝑒 𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑤𝑒 𝑤𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑠𝑐𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑚𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑖𝑛 𝑐𝑜𝑙𝑜𝑟

❝︎𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑟𝑒𝑠𝑡
𝑜𝑓 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑙𝑑 𝑤𝑎𝑠 𝑏𝑙𝑎𝑐𝑘
𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑤ℎ𝑖𝑡𝑒 𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑤𝑒 𝑤𝑒𝑟𝑒
𝑠𝑐𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑚𝑖𝑛𝑔
𝑖𝑛 𝑐𝑜𝑙𝑜𝑟.❞︎

─︎ 𝑡𝑎𝑦𝑙𝑜𝑟 𝑠𝑤𝑖𝑓𝑡 ♡
▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

Madeline sat alone on her porch, waiting for her father to return so they could discuss everything going on with their deceased loved one. Instead of meeting up with her dad, she saw Stefan Salvatore strolling towards her, a comforting smile slithering onto his face. Unable to find the motivation to move, she let him sit down beside her, smiling even with her pessimistic sentiments.

"How are you doing?" Stefan asked, pondering how their talk would play out. Since he had confronted the two Saltzman in the classroom, things hadn't really been the same. "Elena told me what happened."

"I feel like opening up my dad's stockpile of bourbon." Madeline half-joked, allowing herself to feel more relaxed around the Salvatore vampire. "I am surprised you decided to show your face again, considering I shot you in the abdomen."

"Well, I forgave you. Plus, it wasn't right how I handled it with you and Alaric." Stefan apologized with a smile. "I am sorry."

"Hm, well, I don't forgive you." the girl responded, making the vampire's smile falter. "Unless you help me choose what my father and I should wear for the fundraiser. He is one of the bachelors, and I am currently manifesting that Jenna gets him."

Chuckling, Stefan nodded as they both stood up. "I would be honored to help you." Madeline opened her door, stepping inside before looking back at the vampire.

"I am trusting you, Mr. Salvatore," she murmured. "Despite what you do, I can't stay mad at you."

"For some reason, I feel the same way," Stefan admitted, happy that he could soon hang out at his friend's house.

"Would you like to come in, Mr. Salvatore?" Madeline challenged, stifling a smile and unintentionally displaying her dimples. The Salvatore brother didn't recall it yet, but he grew to appreciate that feature the most about the green-eyed girl.

Stefan chuckled, "Leine, I would love to."

"Leine?" Madeline questioned as the vampire walked inside.

"It just slipped out. Not the best nickname ever." Stefan shrugged.

Madeline smiled. "It's more creative than what my dad calls me." They spent most of their day talking about all the vampire drama Stefan felt was appropriate to share. Something about the vampire hunter made him feel relieved, like he could tell her anything. For some strange explanation, Madeline felt the same, but she was still scared of losing people she let into her life.

°︎•︎∙︎☽∙︎•︎°︎

Although Stefan was enjoying his time with Madeline, he had to go accompany Elena, who was also having a hard time grasping on to each shred of information. Her life was much more simple without vampires, but she wouldn't change it even if she had the opportunity to. Now, Madeline chatted along with Matt, Caroline, and Elena, making an effort to foretell who would get selected to go on a date with the assorted bachelors. Wearing what Stefan helped her pick out, the female Saltzman scanned the area, marking possible exits just like she always did.

"If my dad doesn't get Jenna, I'm going to start a riot." Madeline half-joked as she helped Caroline with providing tickets. "They are adorable together."

"Oh my god, right!" Caroline giggled, thrilled. "Ever since you told me you and Jeremy got them talking, I have been rooting for them ever since."

"I have to admit, they are a cool couple," Matt said to Madeline. "Your babies are growing up."

"I know. It's enough to make me cry." Madeline sniffed, wiping off imaginary tears. Halting the friends from getting along, Matt's mom sauntered to them, hoping to win the raffle and get a bachelor.

"Hello, Ms. Donovan!" Caroline declared cheerfully, yearning for her boyfriend's mother to like her. Rather than greeting her graciously as she should have, Matt's mother exclusively excluded Caroline and welcomed Elena in a hug. Trying to comfort her best friend, Madeline clasped onto Caroline's hand, lending it an auspicious squeeze. Right before this all started, Caroline had expressed her concerns about Matt's mother, and let's just say Madeline despised Kelly. In her point of view, she was a horrendous mother and just plain rude.

"Elena, honey!" she greeted as they separated from the hug. "Matty tells me you broke his heart."

"Mom!" Matt exclaimed in embarrassment. He didn't exactly enjoy his mother disparaging his relationship with Caroline, considering it was one of the main things that kept him going every day.

"Just kidding! Calm down, Matty." the adult assured before remarking another insult about Caroline. "He found his rebound girl."

"Okay, this needs to stop. You little shi ─︎," Madeline began before Caroline covered her mouth, causing the insults to become muffled until Madeline removed the blonde girl's hand. "Caroline is absolutely extraordinary, and I will not let you criticize my best friend. I don't know why you can not accept that your son is happy with her." Matt smiled, delighted that someone spoke up for Caroline other than him while Caroline endeavored to detain a giggle rising in her throat, pleased she had a best friend like Madeline.

Kelly scoffed, her smirk slightly wavering as she handed Caroline the money for a raffle ticket. "Looks like you need more advice on how to pick out better friends and girlfriends, Matty."

To stop herself from trampling an adult, she harshly yanked off the woman's raffle ticket and handed it to her.

"Have a nice day," Madeline declared with bitterness in her tone as she watched the woman walk away.

"I am so sorry, Matt. If I made you uncomfortable with that ─︎," she apologized, realizing she just argued with her friend's mother, which most people wouldn't agree with.

"─︎ Madeline, that was amazing," Matt complimented as Elena and Caroline nodded in agreement. "I mean, she's still my mom, but she needed to be told the truth."

"Oh, thank god. I was worried you'd be mad at me." Madeline sighed in consolation.

"Nope, just impressed," Caroline said, hugging the vampire hunter.

"Well, I would do anything for you, Care." Madeline smiled. "However, I am manifesting that Kelly gets guy number three. Something tells me he is the worst one out of the bunch."

Caroline chuckled. "And I would do anything for you too."

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎
𝑖 𝑎𝑝𝑜𝑙𝑜𝑔𝑖𝑧𝑒
𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑎𝑛𝑦 𝑠𝑝𝑒𝑙𝑙𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑒𝑟𝑟𝑜𝑟𝑠
𝑜𝑟 𝑎𝑛𝑦 𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑛𝑡
𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑠𝑒𝑒𝑚𝑠 𝑜𝑢𝑡 𝑜𝑓 𝑝𝑙𝑎𝑐𝑒!
𝑙𝑒𝑖𝑛𝑒 𝑖𝑠
𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑛𝑜𝑢𝑛𝑐𝑒𝑑 "𝑙𝑖𝑛''
▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎