XXII. sɪʟᴇɴᴄᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴀᴜʀᴀ ᴏғ ᴅᴇᴀᴛʜ

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝𝑚𝑦 ℎ𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑡 𝑚𝑎𝑑𝑒 𝑖𝑡𝑠 𝑐ℎ𝑜𝑖𝑐𝑒𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑖𝑡 𝑐ℎ𝑜𝑠𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢

𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑖𝑡 𝑐ℎ𝑜𝑠𝑒 𝑦𝑜𝑢.❞︎

─︎ 𝑎𝑒𝑠𝑡𝑒𝑢𝑡𝑖𝑐𝑐
▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

Unbelievable panic shivered throughout Maddie's body as she reclined in the hospital, knee bouncing out of trepidation. Feeling guilty, Tyler sat beside her, noticing the injuries John left on her skin.

"What happened to you?" Tyler said, concerned. Sure, he and Maddie weren't close, but that didn't prevent him from acknowledging the severity of her wounds.

"People ganged up on me," she said simply, shrugging. "I could've won the damn fight if it were fair. His friends backed him up."

"I don't doubt that." Tyler chuckled lightly. "You beat them up a little, right?"

"Yeah, his face is really messed up," Madeline said, striving to forget the circumstance her blonde friend was in. Hesitantly, she spoke her mind. "It's not your fault."

"What?" Tyler replied, pretending as if he didn't know what she was talking about.

"What happened to Care isn't your fault," Madeline guaranteed with a thoughtful smile. "I can tell you're blaming yourself for it."

"I was the one driving." Tyler sighed, running his hands through his hair.

"Things just happen Tyler. You can't control it." Madeline said. "Care is strong. She is one of the greatest people I know. I promise you when she is awake and gossiping, she won't blame you one bit."

"Thanks, Madeline," Tyler replied with genuine compassion, nodding as Maddie's knee continued to bounce. Before she could change the subject, the sheriff pulled Tyler aside, leaving Madeline alone to deal with the deafening silence. Fucking silence.

It wouldn't leave her alone.

In a meager attempt to find consolation, Maddie called Caroline, striving to leave a voicemail for her to hear after she recovers. Making her smile wistfully, Caroline's voice cropped up in her voicemail greeting, and she was just as enthusiastic as always. Upon hearing the beep, Madeline breathed out deeply.

"Hey, Care. Right now, I'm sitting in the hospital with so much silence, and I hate it." Madeline sighed. "You are really scaring me, you know? I know you'll be okay. Like, come on, you're Caroline Forbes." Abruptly, Maddie's overthinking swallowed her whole, muddling her brain with ghastly ending scenarios, and she stiffened.

"Damn it, Care. I love you. You're my best friend." Madeline exhaled, scanning the scratches on her arms. "I'll see you when you wake up. You still owe me cookies, blondie." And with that, she hung up, unable to handle speaking to no one for much longer.