LXVIII. ʟᴏᴠᴇʀʙᴏʏ ᴀɴᴅ ᴀ ʟɪᴀʀ

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒘𝒉𝒐 𝒍𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒘𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅𝒏'𝒕 𝒅𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔

𝒘𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅𝒏'𝒕 𝒅𝒐 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒔.❞︎

─︎ 𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒂𝒏 𝒈𝒓𝒂𝒚 ♡︎♡︎
▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

Evading everyone and their heartfelt condolences, Madeline sauntered around the entire town, endeavoring to feel something other than dismay. Anguish was stitched into her heart, making it ache with each beat. It was as if an endless hole opened beneath her feet, permitting her to wonder when she would stop descending and reach the bottom. Deep melancholy ripped apart her mental wounds. She wanted to scream, cry, and let the universe know she was fed up with losing people she loved. Memories were all she had left, and they created unattainable fantasies.

She remembered all the mornings when she would bring her father some coffee, the way his face would light up when he took the first sip. He would say, "Just like your mom used to make it." After they would train, she would get ice cream as a reward. It was the main reason she was so fond of the strawberry dessert.

Cultivating a tumor in her heart, she wished she didn't have those memories in the first place. Maybe then the pain would go away. Maybe then she could break out of her prison before it consumed her fighting spirit.

Oblivious to what was transpiring at the cemetery with her father, Madeline ignored anyone's calls. She didn't even realize that the sun had come up or that her boyfriend and siblings were searching for her all over town.

She pulled out her phone and scrolled through her contacts, pressing Caroline's number.

"Mads!" Caroline said in relief, instantly answering the call. "We've been looking everywhere for you! Where are you?"

Madeline's voice held no enthusiasm, replaced with slight bluntness. "Uh, about that. Can you and the rest of the cleaning committee not show up at school? Please. I want to spend time in my dad's classroom without running into people. I need to clear out the rest of the weapons."

Caroline furrowed her brows, bewildered by the request. "Madeline, that isn't healthy. Where are you?"

Closing her eyes, Madeline's unoccupied hand fiddled with her hair. "Care, I need this. Please. Plus, you know I can get the clean-up done instantly with my powers. That way you have more time on your hands."

Running her hand through her hair, Caroline sighed, hearing the desperation in her tone. "I'm sorry. Mads, I don't think you should be alone, especially now. How about I join you? Please?"

"Will you tell anyone where I am?" Madeline declared.

Caroline replied, "Nope." She desperately wanted to be by Maddie's side, considering the redhead had always been there for her.