XXIII. ᴋᴀᴛʜᴇʀɪɴᴇ ᴀɴᴅ ᴛʜᴇ ᴀssʜᴏʟᴇ

▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

❝𝑤𝑒 𝑑𝑜𝑛'𝑡 𝑠𝑎𝑦 𝑖𝑡𝑏𝑢𝑡𝑤𝑒 𝑏𝑜𝑡ℎ 𝑓𝑒𝑒𝑙 𝑖𝑡

❝𝑤𝑒 𝑑𝑜𝑛'𝑡 𝑠𝑎𝑦 𝑖𝑡
𝑏𝑢𝑡
𝑤𝑒 𝑏𝑜𝑡ℎ 𝑓𝑒𝑒𝑙 𝑖𝑡.❞︎

─︎ 𝑗.𝑏.
▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎▂︎

According to the Salvatores, Katherine was scheming and used people's vulnerabilities to her advantage, finding benefit in everything as long as it meant she could survive. In hopes of learning more about her motivations with her doppelganger, Stefan assumed John might be a valuable source as much as it pained him to admit it.

While Elena visited Caroline, Stefan asked the hunter, who had recently gotten her injuries bandaged and showered, if she wanted to tag along. Oh, Madeline needed little convincing. Full of valor, they strode into his hospital room with one motive.

"Hey, asshole," Madeline said as they both stood beside the uncle, making John sigh in frustration.

"What are you doing here?" John questioned, frowning with revulsion. Infuriated, Madeline latched onto his hand solidly, forbidding him from squeezing the assistance button.

"What? Did you expect me to die that easily?" Madeline scoffed, tilting her head and intimidating the grown adult. Just because she was a teenage girl didn't mean she couldn't terrify grown-ups. "Looks like I did more damage to you than you did to me." John kept silent, glaring as the hunter assessed the contusions on his face.

"You know, Katherine might not be so bad since she did all that to you." Madeline taunted, pointing out his missing fingers and other lacerations. "She certainly knows garbage when she sees it."

"Where is she?" John asked, his fear of the female vampire progressing as his pulse hastened.

"You tell us, John," Stefan responded, crossing his arms with his sleeves rolled up.

"I don't know," John said as he tried to salvage some threatening posture. Keeping a bogus smile, Madeline clutched onto his shoulder, shoving him down against the bed.

"I don't take too kindly to people who try to imprison me in a burning establishment." Madeline mocked as an ambition to punch the patient in the face deepened.

"You're a little too weak to play tough guy," Stefan informed. "Sit back and answer a few questions, alright?" Not seeing any way out of the confrontation, John relaxed the best he could, which wasn't much. Hoping to persuade him to communicate, Madeline choked down her sarcasm and enmity and presented him with his ring, placing it on his palm.

"Please," Madeline said, gritting her teeth as she almost threw up. Being kind to John wasn't something she preferred to do, but for the sake of everyone's safety, she had to. It was a nuisance. "Tell us why she is here. What does she want?" Tenaciously, John presented them with no response.