Chapter 5

☆▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎Nightmare▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎☆

*María's POV*

After dinner both Mirabel and I finished up cleaning the dishes. We instantly clicked. Almost instantly we became best friends. It was amazing! My first ever BFF!

Once the dishes were finished we sat back at the table and I spoke to the Madrigal family again. They were all very sweet. Camilo flirted with me ever chance he got. It was very cute when he got flustered after I flirted back. We didn't talk for much longer as Señora Alma showed us our rooms. She brought us to the back of Casita. The rooms were quite small but it was really nice. It was simple yet comfortable. The four of us got the same room, we were all next to each other. They all had the same blue walls and the ceiling was a cream, we each had a window that looked over the forest, we each had a single bed with cream bedsheets with a blue duvet to compliment the room, they also all had the same oak wood desks with matching chairs. I was quite happy with it. The others though....

They kept complaining that it wasn't up to their standards or that they didn't sign up for this type of horrific room. I ignored their complaints and emptied out my satchel and started to put everything where I wanted it. In the end it turned out nicely and the girls had stopped complaining eventually.

Right now I lay in bed rethinking today's events. It was truly an amazing day and I pray for more to come. I looked over to my bedside table that held the picture that held my family. I smiled. It was the only photo with Mamá in it. I kiss the photo frame before placing it back.

Suddenly my bedroom door burst open. I jolted up and looked over. There stood a tiny figure in my doorframe with his teddy jaguar and tears rolling down his cheeks. I widen my eyes. I sit up properly on my bed and the figure of Antonio runs and jumps into my arms and starts bawling his eyes out. I held him close to my chest. I ran my hand through his ear and said sweet nothings into his ear to calm him. His breathing calmed and calmed over time. I smiled when he sat up off my chest and just sat in my lap. He said nothing. He was staring at my necklace. He then lifted his head to look at me in my eyes. A small smile came to his face.

'T-thank y-you' He muttered under his breath.

I nodded. 'Of course pequeño (little one), do you want to talk about it?' I ask softly as not to startle him or bring another round of crying. He nodded slowly.

'I-i had a b-bad nightmare' he said.

'And what was it about pequeño?' I ask gently.

He looked down. 'Ehm, well- it was about the familia'

'Yeah?'

'Yeah, ehm, it was about the f-familia being h-hurt' He explained subtlety.

'By what Antonio?'

'T-the m-magic' He whispered. I widened my eyes.

'Can you remember anything?' I ask gently.

'W-well I remember Camilo d-down on his k-knees in p-pain, a-a-and Dolores covering her e-ears, L-luisa l-lost her gift and erm- you were l-lying on the floor.....d-dead' a small tear slipped from his eye. I cupped his face with both my hands. I wiped it off his face with my thumb. I slowly pulled his face closer to mine and I placed his forehead against mine. He instantly relaxed.

I spoke in a calm soothing voice. 'Nothing will ever hurt your family.....or me...do you know why...?' I ask.

'Por qué? (Why?)' He asks. I look into his eyes.

'Because I will protect your familia, bueno (okay) I promise you nothing will ever harm you or Camilo or Dolores or Luisa or any other member of you'd family, bueno?' I clarify for him. He cups my hands that still held his face.

'Bueno, gracias' He says.

'Por supuesto pequeño (of course little one)' I reply.

We just sat their embracing each other. Antonio lay on my chest and I had an arm wrapped around his back to make sure he knows I'm still here and he's safe. I could tell that he was not going to sleep anytime soon as his mind was buzzing with confusion on what just happened. To calm him I decided to do something I haven't done in years. I sang......

💛

Sleep little one~
Close your eyes~
Your body's cooling with the night~
Let your worries, slip away~
Tomorrow brings a brand new day~

Shimmering moon and satin sky~
Soft wind breaths its lullaby~
Your dreams are here to set you free~

The dawn will bring you back to me~

-Thelma Plum (Maddie's lullaby)

💛

When I looked down I saw Antonio snoring slightly on my chest. He held his jaguar in one hand and had his arm wrapped around my waist. So I won't be going to the bathroom for a while. I smiled down at the curly haired boy.

'Works every time.....' I mumble to myself hopefully not waking Antonio before trying to fall asleep myself.

▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎

I finished this chapter earlier than expected so I thought I'd post it early as it is New Year's Day! Hope you all enjoy my book so far! Please comment on what you think!