Chapter 10

☆▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎Three breakdowns in one day▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎☆

*María's POV*

After running into Camilo and helping him up I finished the washing (laundry) early enough. I hung them up on the washing line. The sun was shining bright so I knew they would dry quick. Unless Señora Pepa changes that.

After that I check my work list. I crossed off washing (laundry), I scan through it. I see I must go get the usual groceries. I grab my brown basket and then head to the kitchen. When I enter it was empty, except for the arepas that where laying on the counter of Casita. I smiled when Casita brought the plate closer to me. I took one.

'Thanks Casita' a few tiles clap against the floor in reply. Before I properly turn around a small little rat crawled out from underneath the table and stared up at the arepas. I chuckle. I grab another one and give it to the little rat. I turn around and grab the shopping list and the brown pouch that was filled with golden coins. I happily skip out of the house. 'Adiós Casita!' I wave at the house and Casita replies by banging it's windows open and closed.

I walk around Encanto's marvellous markets. I walk up to the butchers. 'Hola Señor Lopez' I greet. He turns around d to me and smiles.

'Ah, María! Good to see you again!' He says.

'You too Señor Lopez' I smile at him. He smiles back.

'Now what can I get you Cariño? (sweetheart)' He asks.

'Ehm' I pull out the list out of my basket. I scan through it before I found what I needed. 'Pork chops, steak and chicken breast please' I smile and look up from the list.

'Por supuesto un momento (of course one moment)' i nod and he turns his back towards him. When he turns back around he had everything I needed in his hands. He hands them to me and I place them in my basket. I open the brown pouch and pull out three gold coins and hand it to him. He shakes his head. 'For you putting up with my daughter, it's free' I laugh at his reply.

I put the gold coins back in the pouch. 'Gracias Señor' I say before walking to the fish stall.

'Hola Señora Díaz' I greet. The short plump women turns around with her usual smiley face.

'Oh! María! My most hermosa (beautiful) young customer, what can I do for you?' She asks. My face heats up a bit at her compliment.

The rest of my morning I was going from stall to stall greeting the people behind them with joy and them replying with the same amout of happiness as me. I shared a few laughs and jokes with them. By around eleven o'clock I was done shopping and had a basket full of goods for us all to feast on. While walking up to Casita I pass a dark ally and down there I heard quiet sobbing. I furrow my brows.

'Hola?' I ask. When I speak the person stops sobbing and stays quiet. I walk down the ally cautiously. When I reach a stack of crates I looked behind it and the sight crushed my heart. Luisa sat there with her arms wrapped around an elephant teddy and her knee were to her chest. Streaks of tear rushed down her face. She tried to wipe them away so you couldn't see. 'Luisa?'

'I-i know, i-i look l-like a w-w-weakling right n-now but that's b-because i-' I didn't let her finish. I carefully placed the basket on the ground and fell to my knees. I wrapped my arms around her broad shoulders. Her head fell into my chest. She sat there for a moment before bawling her eyes out again. I just sat there making sure she knew I was here and that there was nothing to worry about. She wrapped her arms around me squeezing me a bit. She started to lose her breath and started shaking, I knew this wasn't going to end well unless I don't calm her down now. The only thing I could think of was sing mi Mama's favourite song, and the song I sang to Antonio.