Chapter 9

☆▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎Whispers in the wall▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎▪︎☆

*María's POV*

Ka-thunk!

I gasp and sit up in my bed now wide awake. Trying to catch my breath I look around trying to find the owner of the source. I quickly got out of bed and grabbed my Swiss army knife off my bedside locker. I held it up in the air threateningly making sure whomever was in my room knew I was armed.

The only lighting in my room was the bright full moon that was shining in my already open window. The moonlight was enough to illuminate the room except for the shadows in the corners like behind my wardrobe or in the corner by the door. No one was here, what the fuck......it was just your imagination María.......dios mío (my god).

I look around once more before grabbing a dressing gown to cover my nightgown to then leave my room completely with Swiss army knife I hand. I quietly walked to the kitchen trying not to wake anyone especially Dolores. She has a rough time getting to sleep as it is I don't need to make it worse. I sighed as I sat down in one of the chairs Casita brought over for me. I patted the table in appreciation. I look up at the clock above the kitchen door, it read 4:30. I sat there for a moment in peace before footsteps woke me up out of my tired daze.

'María? Eres tu? (Is that you?)'

I look up at the sound of a familiar voice. 'Oh, hola Señora Julieta' I greet. She gave me one of her warm smiles. She then pulled out what looked like a box of matches and lite the few candles that were littered around the room. She then came back to me and Casita placed a chair on the opposite side of the table to me. Still her warm smile on her face.

'Why are you up so early María?' She asks concern lacing her voice. I smile at her.

'I could ask you the same thing Señora' I reply. She chuckles.

'Well played, and besides please call me Julieta I'm not my Mama' she says waving a hand in exasperation. I giggle.

'But please tell me' she says sternly. I look at her then to my feet.

'I just couldn't sleep, home sickness' I reply in a weak voice. I look up at her but she has a sad smile on her face. I try and lift both our spirits slightly by smiling but that only seemed to make it worse as she stood up and gave me a big, warm hug that I melted into.

'Everyone feels like this when they leave home' she whispers in my ear before pulling away from the hug to look at me properly. She tucked a piece of my messy bed hair behind my ear. 'You are so strong to leave home at such a young age, and your familia are probably so lucky to have such an amazing hija (daughter) or hermana (sister) in their lives and to help them with money is so kind of you María, I cannot describe how kind and a gorgeous person you are to be around, but you are very welcome here at the Casita with us Madrigals and if you every need anything just let us know bueno? (Okay?)' She says. I look at her and nod happily as a small tear of joy fell. I pulled her into a hug and she gladly responded. We stood there for a moment before I slightly pulled away and so did she.

'Gracias Julieta' I thank. She smiles. 'Now why are you up so early Julieta?' I ask.

'Oh, I start the breakfast for the Familia at this time' she says casually. I look at her with my jaw to the floor.