four. punch her

STEP FOUR

STEP FOUR.  KNOW HIS IDENTITY
( skip on this for a bit and go to a party since your mother pushed you down the fucking stairs )

WE, AS PEOPLE, have blurred the line between happiness and fun.

We constantly look for sources of fun and occupy our minds with the stuff of marginal importance; while we forget that the happiness we so desperately seek is really just a simple change of perspective on life.

That's the reason that Nina loves parties - she thinks it's fun to go every once in a while, have a good time, meet new people, and make memories.

But for a person so observant, Nina can't even see the problem in that: she goes out way too often. Gets shitfaced, becomes high, all inhibitions down. The fifteen-year-old uses a short-term fix to a long-term problem - and it's a problem because she's only fifteen. Barely a teenager.

When she's with Liz and Betty, at her house in the suburbs, preparing for a party - Nina feels disappointed that the older girl wouldn't be serving any alcohol. That's the staple of parties. Hell, that was the only reason why she even liked parties - Liz was almost eighteen, so why was she still scared of her parents finding out?

In true Nina fashion, of course, she does something about it.

It happened when Betty ran to the kitchen to prepare the food. Nina hides in the blind spots of the security camera, focuses, lies, and soon enough, here she was: buying cheap beer in one of the nearby supermarkets.

Nina's phone chimes in her pocket. The sound of the text notification was different, the sound of a clown honk, which Nina had personalized just for Valeria whenever her seventeen-year-old sister texts her. She digs it out of her pocket to see that she was right - a text from Valeria.

PSYCHO: mom asked me to steal a bunch of weapons. place n people r sketchy so she said that u need to go w/ me

Nina furrows her brows, looking up to see Liz walking closer to examine the other bottled. The girl grabs her cart, following after the taller girl with her fingers typing out a reply.

DO NOT REPLY (NINA): no way. going to a party
DO NOT REPLY (NINA): do it yourself!!

"Do you think we should pour it in a bowl or just buy the canned stuff?" Liz questions, pulling Nina out of her thoughts.

"We should get the canned beer," although Nina didn't like the quality, it would be much safer if they went for the canned beer - that way no one can drug the cups or take advantage of anyone at the party.

Her phone chimes again.

PSYCHO: do u think i want this? i dont have a choice mom said so
PSYCHO: after the shit u pulled yesterday she's been edge all the time. screamed at samara. i dont want an ass whooping either just go with me and lets get this this over with