nine. kiss it off me

FOR HER FIRST OFFICIAL MISSION AS AN AVENGER, this wasn't going as well as she thought it would be

FOR HER FIRST OFFICIAL MISSION AS AN AVENGER, this wasn't going as well as she thought it would be. The day she met the press at the Avengers Compound, she imagined something smaller: maybe taking down an underground weapon base. The mayor putting on a shiny, gold, medal on her neck for protecting the state of New York. Hell, she's even imagined a fucking shrine being built in her name.

But now, after she had her ass thrown into a tree by an ugly alien, Nina was starting to rethink that shrine being built in her name.

"Rule number one of being an Avenger," Tony's smug voice fills her ears as she stands up from her humiliating fall. "Don't be a hero."

"That makes zero sense." Nina deadpans, "Like, are you hearing yourself? That makes no sense at all."

"So, uh, what's this guy's problem, Mr. Stark?"
Peter, who took the duty of kicking the alien's ass after seeing Nina get thrown into a tree asks innocently.

"Uh, he's from space," Tony replies vaguely, flying to meet the alien's height and shooting him with his laser beams as he spared multiple details. "He came here to steal a necklace from a wizard."

"Must be a cute necklace," Nina mumbles absentmindedly, summoning two quad blasters this time - she decided to keep her distance and shoot from a nearby angle since she wasn't really a fan of getting her ass kicked. And besides, she had an impeccable aim.

(She was great at almost anything. It was because of trauma, but Nina liked to pretend she was a badass teenage girl with the best powers in the world and ignore that fact.)

Alien tech was way more complicated than she thought - and she'd be needing a more in-depth explanation coming from Nikaia since Nina watched in confusion as the ax morphed into a weird device that she could only describe as a claw, which he uses to snatch Peter mid-air and throw him once again across the park.

The girl tries to hide her smirk. She feels a little bad for finding Peter's demise a bit funny, but he called her flying shit so, in her logic, it canceled out.

"Mr. Stark, Nina is laughing at me!"

"Well, yeah, you called my flying shit so," Nina pointed her quad blaster directly at the creature's eye, shooting mercilessly until the alien yelps, clutching one of his eyes with its large hand. "An eye for an eye, Peter."

Almost blinding it seems to anger the alien because it lets out a furious roar, directed at her, scrubby hands grabbing a whole taxi and hurling it towards her way. Nina barely leaps away in another direction before Peter attaches a web to it before it can hit her and sends the broken vehicle slamming back into the creature.

"An eye for an eye," Peter mocked through her earpiece, only for Nina to hear.

The girl rolled her eyes at Peter's pettiness despite knowing that no one could see them.