nine. you're driving me insane

SHE WATCHED HIM TALK

SHE WATCHED HIM TALK. She watched his eyes light up whenever he'd come close to the right equation, or when he thinks he'd finally figure out the code. She answered his questions; most were about her powers, some about how she tried to kill him, just about her in general, and some about Liz.

Nina lied, of course. Her secrets were too dark for the fifteen-year-old boy to handle - too much violence and gore that his innocent mind couldn't handle. Peter didn't need to know about the people she's hurt, or the blood on her hands, or the families she's broken; she needed his trust.

Nina cried. Pretended to. While Peter took a thirty-minute break to relax his brain, he had started talking to her again.

When a particularly touchy subject came up, hot tears streamed down her face, and she squeezed his eyelids shut - pretending to hope her tears would stop. Her choppy breathing and watery eyes remained for quite some time, and she sat there unmoving.

Peter was stupid. He believed her - of course, he did. Those lies that came out of her lips, every single thing. He consoled her, gave her advice for instances and experiences that never even existed.

Peter saw her cry, Peter saw how her hands shook while she wrote on the notebook as she gave him a tragic backstory that never even existed, and because of that, he believed that Nina was only a kid: misguided by decisions and people who took advantage of her skills.

But Nina was smart. No matter how much she felt at peace in his comfort or no matter she felt like she belonged there more than she did with her own family, he would never let him play her.

He thinks that he holds something over Nina, her past, and she's going to use it against him. Picking him apart, little by little, piece by piece, until there's nothing left of him.

He tells her about how he's spying on the flying Vulture guy. How he's studying their weapons. He tells her about the things he hates the most about being Spider-Man.

Peter is stupid - he has too much goodness in his heart. How he'd manage to easily trust and confine in a girl who'd openly admitted the fact that she was going to ruin his life? It was almost pathetic, honestly.

He's attempting another computation again - and Nina watches. The girl is starting to feel a bit drowsy from forcing out all those tears to leave her eyes - and she hasn't attempted to talk in eight hours. Her costume is put back on once again, wig already in place since she expected that they would've left a long time ago.

With all her might, Nina focuses on her vocal cords, attempting to mutter out the easiest word she can think of - hi.

"H-" at the first letter, her voice almost cracks. It's airy, but it's still there - it just needed a little push. "Hi," she tells herself, quiet contentment spreading through her.

Just as she was about to tell Peter of the new predicament, the massive warehouse doors groan as they open, just as the teenage boy quickly flipped on the floor. "It worked! It works!"