four. nina 'i don't need a therapist' viotto

NINA WAS A PRETTY CRIER

NINA WAS A PRETTY CRIER. Ever since she was a child, the girl had trained herself to not look hideous whenever she was crying; no weird facial contortions, a red, swollen nose, puffy red eyes - no, she looked like a gorgeous, sad puppy crying.

Now, she didn't train herself to cry prettily just for fun; at a young age, she learned that pretty-crying may have an evolutionary advantage since it could arguably make the person you're crying feel more sympathetic and, as a result, more likely to remedy the situation or give you what you want.

Nina may be the most scheming girl in New York, but her hard facade can be broken, too. And when she cries, she does it with poise and grace and that's worthy of a crown.

But crying was pathetic. No matter how pretty she looked, crying was still pathetic; so she forced herself to suck it up the moment she jumps in the car, smiling softly as she grabs the sandwich intended for her.

"You good?" Happy questions from the front seat, eyebrows furrowed together in concern.

"Yup. You know how mental breakdowns go." The girl shrugged nonchalantly, pretending like the issue wasn't as big as it was. "I just need to go the compound and talk to Vision."

The ride upstate is spent in silence. Every so often, Nina would peek at the rearview mirror only to see Happy blinking desperately in an attempt to stay awake - it was only 8 pm, but it looks like he's had a busy day.

It bubbles up the slightest guilt in her chest - which led her to her glowing eyes, hushed whisper; and soon enough, Happy was as energetic as ever.

New York traffic was a bitch. When they finally arrive at the compound, Happy turns around to see that Nina's head is dipped as if she was about to pray, but silence reigns; with half-lidded eyes, she stares at the carpet unseeingly.

"Kid?" The man questions carefully, tapping the door in an awkward way of telling Nina that they arrived at the destination.

"What time is it?" Nina questions in confusion, rubbing her eyes (yet again, smashing her mascara) as she examined the building; the lights were on and it was still full of life, with people bustling around and walking towards different directions.

"A little past nine." Happy responds with a shrug, walking past the girl as she makes her steps from the parking lot to the compound.

"Why are there still guys here?"

"Stark Industries never sleeps. These people are working the night shift." Happy tells her with an almost proud smile on his face.

"Better tell Tony to overpay them, then. I couldn't imagine working my ass off at 4 am." Nina jokes, pushing all the problems in the back of her mind as she skips over towards the main entrance.