three. give me a hug

"ARE YOU DATING PETER PARKER?" Betty offered the question in the most casual voice in the middle of Mr

"ARE YOU DATING PETER PARKER?" Betty offered the question in the most casual voice in the middle of Mr. Sui's lecture on a book Nina didn't give a fuck about.

Nina's eyes widened at the bluntness of her friend who had normally sugar-coated everything. The girl let out a cough, choking on the water that she had taken a sip out of. Pressing a hand to her chest, the girl turned to her friend in disbelief and shock.

Betty seemed unfazed from her inability to breathe and stared at her expectantly as Alaska sniggered at the interaction.

"I—" Normally, Nina would've caught herself right now - come back at her feet and make up a lie, but this was Betty. And Betty knew all her tricks and her tells and she knew whenever Nina lied - so it made her sweat out of nervousness. "What was that?"

"Are you dating Peter Parker?" Betty repeated herself, playing with her pen. "Word travels fast, Nina. Someone who lives in your apartment complex... Felix, was it? He said that he saw the two of you running towards your car in the parking lot this morning."

Nina's eyes widen. "That's not—"

"Which checks out on the timeline, cause—"

"A timeline?" Nina sputtered, a million questions flooding her mind at once.

"Yes, a there's a timeline. Shut up." Betty rolls her eyes, which was seriously amusing Alaska because it seemed like the girl was struggling to laugh out loud in class. "It checks out. Hannah S. says that she spotted the two of you at Delmars at 7:30 from her ride to school. Then, I heard a bunch of underclassmen talking about how the two of you came running late in the South entrance. So tell me, are you dating Peter Parker?"

"I'm not!" Nina tried her best to keep her voice at a low whisper, so as not to attract attention from her apparently very gossipy classmates. "I got information from him last night since there's an investigation at Stark Industries which I cannot disclose for reasons, and it got late so my dad told him to sleep in the guest room and that was it!" Her ability to make up such believable lies on the spot is a talent she still took pride of. "We passed by Delmars, didn't know we were running late, and that's it."

"You're lying."

"I am not!" Nina shot back, almost a little bit too defensively. Her cheeks now pink after a short clip of what had happened that morning flashing in her head.  "Where did you—what—why do you think I'm dating Parker?"

"She's been waiting for this question her whole life." Alaska interjects with a smile, leaning against her chair.

"Oh you bet I have." The bubbly girl glances at the teacher momentarily, to make sure he wasn't looking back, and when the coast is clear, she begins. "Sophomore year. He asked Liz out and you kept on sulking and whining and you skipped Homecoming... which was weird cause Peter skipped too."