fourteen. welcome to prague

MATTY IS EASY

MATTY IS EASY. During those few months of their relationship, she could easily infiltrate his mind without fail. They always said that the kindest people had the weakest minds - a theory proven true, Matthew Hayes being the human incarnation of the theory.

It's not like she used her powers on him all the time; Nina was an asshole, not a monster - but she used it for the little things. Grab the bag of chips from the pantry, do my homework, give me the blanket - the only time she had actually needed to infiltrate his memory is when the little incident involving Peter's name on a couch happened.

"He can't even look at us," Peter whines quietly, eyes never leaving the boy who was only a seat behind of the two of them. "Oh my god. We traumatized him, Nina."

"We didn't traumatize him cause we weren't doing anything, Peter." Nina whispers back, making sure that she was quiet enough so that the boy couldn't hear her but not quiet enough that he would miss her words. "I'll erase his mind - I just gotta find the right timing. You check his phone cause I'm pretty sure Brad managed to snap a photo of us once - probably sent it to Matty because he's a dick - so I'm not taking any chances here."

She could easily whisper out a command to make sure that the picture never existed - but Peter had seemed so excited with EDITH, so she figured that she could at least let him try out the features. If things go wrong, she can easily delete them, anyway.

Peter nods silently, grabbing the glasses from it's case with shaking fingers, before putting them on. "EDITH? Hi. So there's this guy in our class, and he took a compromising photo of me and Nina and he might have sent it to the guy in front of me so I really need you to check his phone out."

It's silent for a few seconds - probably EDITH relaying the information to Peter, and based by the frown that makes its way on his face, it isn't good news.

"He sent Matthew a photo. It's in his inbox. He hasn't opened it up yet," the boy tells Nina - eyebrows furrowing in annoyance. "God, he's such a pig."

"We need to delete it before I erase his mind so he wouldn't be all confused seeing that photo in his phone." The girl commands steadily, shooing the boy to do his thing. "Come on, Pete."

The boy nods in determination. His voice is louder this time, "Matthew Hayes. He has a photo of me in his inbox."

A pregnant pause. "Is Matthew a target? Yeah." Peter scrunches his eyebrows, not really understanding what his new friend is trying to say. "He's a target. He's a target."

By the way Peter has phrased those words, there's a sinking feeling in Nina's stomach telling her that the system must've misunderstood him. She's about to tell him so, but the boy suddenly looks very panicked, voice dropping to an octave as he says, "Initiating what now?"

"Peter, what happened?" Nina demands, watching as his already pale face begins to grow paler.

"Um, I think I messed up," the boy admits shakily, suddenly unable to sit still on his seat. "No, I know I messed up."