seven. whenever you're ready

THE SILENCE WAS KILLING HER

THE SILENCE WAS KILLING HER. Loud, deafening silence which was wildly accompanied by the cheeky look Happy was sending her every so often after working on her bullet graze. To make things worse, Peter tagged along too - he's sitting, at the backseat, silent, since his suit was due for an update and he had something to do the next day so he just went with Happy.

And Happy was glancing at Nina, then back at Peter, then at the road. Then the process repeats.

It was annoying; she could easily read the context - he must've thought that something was going on between her and Peter at that moment which would lead to him making a snide comment in front of Tony, then Tony will know, then he'll be further deluded into the fantasy of his two protégés dating while they saved the city from small threats. As if. Sure, she had that stupid crush on Peter but Nina was trying to convince herself that because of that encounter, Peter Parker was nothing to her anymore. Just an annoying, little rascal and he didn't deserve—

"Nina, stop squeezing your nails on the armrest." Happy scolded, "It's leather."

Maybe she should've just sat in the backseat like she usually did. But there was no fucking way in hell she would seat beside Peter Parker after he yelled at her like a madman.

With a groan, Nina lifted her head the slightest, turning it toward the radio, and quickly pressed on a random button - just anything to drown out the loud silence and the looks Happy were sending in her direction. Anything.

"Why do you build me up... buttercup, baby just to let me down?"

"God, I hate this fucking song," Nina grumbled, finger about to change the station until Happy slapped her hand away before she could do so, shooting her a glare that made her slump back in her seat with a loud huff.

When the song played, Nina decided to just close her eyes and fall asleep, admittedly a bit tired after the whole situation with the bank robbery. Plus, she needed to store her energy for all the shit she was about to show Tony regarding her new skills that Druig and Nikaia taught her while they were here, so that was that.

Peter, however, couldn't shut his mind off.

One, he felt like a dick. He's been having a very stressful day after getting into a huge fight with May and his Spider-Man duties; and what irked him out the most was that he and May basically never fought - so he was frustrated, and that frustration got him distracted in a bank robbery which led to Nina getting hurt which led to said frustration getting poured out on Nina - who had literally saved his life, yet instead of thanking her, he yelled at her in an alley at full volume. So yes, he felt like a dick.

Nina helped him - yet she was the receiving end of his frustration. She wasn't perfect but so was he; which meant that it wasn't fair for her.

Suddenly, it was as if he was hyper-aware about everything about the girl who slept on the front seat. Her heartbeat, the loudest heartbeat he's ever heard going at a steady pace — THUMP THUMP THUMP. The small strand of brown hair her hairstylist must've missed when she had her highlights replaced with a head of full-on blonde hair. The residual blood on her left hand - the same hand she had used to... threaten him at the Strip Spot.