seventeen. peter and not-peter

NINA DOESN'T LIKE CRYING

NINA DOESN'T LIKE CRYING. The girl thinks it's a sign of genuine weakness, having been thought that her whole life. So once she's snapped back into reality, the girl flies towards the top of the hotel, not wanting Betty to see her in her current state.

An hour passes. She was still there, spiraling between thoughts of worthlessness and the constant reminders of her mistakes.

The static that has been building over the past few minutes finally bubbled over, leaving her with shaking fingers and a tight chest - it shouldn't hurt this much. Peter had every right to question her intentions, she shouldn't be affected because he was right - how would she know the difference between right and wrong when everything about her past was just plain... disturbing.

She had absolutely no right to feel hurt because he was right.

With a huff, the girl flies down towards her hotel room, trying to shove down the multiple emotions banging against her chest at the moment. Her bed was quite messy, and the bathroom door was wide open when she had specifically remembered shutting it close before she decided to jump up the roof.

Nina's heart constricted and she swallowed hard past the lump in her throat, trying her very best to not cry more than she already had - it was already very pathetic, and she wasn't willing to do it again in front of Betty, who was probably in her room, waiting for her to explain things over, and -

"Nina? Are you there?"

That isn't Betty. Definitely isn't Betty.

Nina sighed, looking around and feeling the dreaded feeling of guilt starting to creep into the pit of her stomach already. No. Nonononono. Swallowing down the lump in her throat, she sighs - no.

"Nina, please."

The gentle tone cracked the dam of pain that Nina had desperately tried to hide. The girl turned towards Peter, her head down as the inward struggle of her body to keep her sobs in forced her to shake her body ruthlessly as she tried in vain to remain composed. "What?"

"I'm sorry," Peter whispered, pulling Nina into a tight hug.

Nina tried to force himself to maintain eye contact but simply couldn't do it. Instead of turning away or looking at the floor, she figured she was earning partial credit by continuing to face the boy but closing her eyes. "I'm sorry for trying to mind-control you," her voice was soft, maybe it was because of shame, maybe because of something else, "But I'm not sorry for trying to convince you otherwise because Beck doesn't deserve those glasses, but you're right - it's your decision to make and not mine."

Peter interjected softly but earnestly, "You were right, Nina."

"What?" The girl questions, suddenly alert as she glances back up at Peter, now suddenly overcome by the urge to look at him.