eleven. principal's office

"UP NEXT, THE SPIDER-MAN MANIA IS SWEEPING THE SCHOOL," that's all Nina needs to hear before she stops listening to the daily school news reports, plugging in both of her earphones and blasting the music in a volume so loud that it's starting to m...

"UP NEXT, THE SPIDER-MAN MANIA IS SWEEPING THE SCHOOL," that's all Nina needs to hear before she stops listening to the daily school news reports, plugging in both of her earphones and blasting the music in a volume so loud that it's starting to make her ears ache.

To sell the idea that she had actually been hit by a car, the girl gave herself a slight limp and held a bandaged limb (technically, she did need it since she jumped into the ground and scratched her arm all over). Instead of the pissed-off looks, she knew Parker would be receiving for 'ditching' the Decathlon, the girl was met with sympathy.

At that moment, the girl almost wishes that she has mind-reading powers, just to inflate her ego. Poor Nina - got hit by a car. Poor Nina; brave enough to show up in school after getting into an accident. Poor Nina, who had to leave decathlon.

Snickering softly to herself, Nina continues to relish in the looks being sent her way, not knowing why this much attention is making her heart leap out of joy. Valeria called her an attention-seeking whore once, in a fit of rage — and maybe she was right.

With Freddie Mercury's comforting singing blasting in her ears, Nina almost forgets that she was supposed to meet Betty before their first class; only being reminded of her friend's presence when the blonde girl runs up towards her, soft features twisted in worry.

"Nina!" Betty whisper shouted once she'd reached her friend's locker, eyeing her bandages with a look Nina couldn't muster. "I heard what happened— oh my god, are you all right?"

"Oh my god, Betty, it was traumatizing!" Nina lies, clenching her teeth together as her eyes started to cloud. (Nina made sure that no teardrops would fall - the number of emotions she was faking at the moment needed to be just right to avoid any suspicion.) "I feel so bad - I missed the Decathlon and now I'm pretty sure the school hates me and-"

Betty doesn't let her finish, instead, wrapping her friend up in a tight hug. While her fingers slowly rubbed circles in her back to comfort Nina, the liar couldn't help but feel amused at this whole situation: it was almost too easy.

In the midst of hugging Betty, Nina feels her senses widen. Her skin tingles, she breathes deeper, smelling more air. The girl listens to the conversation in the hallway with greater intensity. Her vision becomes sharper. She has focus.

Then, slowly, she looks up. Expecting her eyes to somehow connect with a rodent, a dog, a bird, her eyes meet with Peter Parker, who has his eyebrow raised as he watches the whole thing with Betty happen from his locker. Ned Leeds is right beside him, talking, but it looks like Peter isn't sparing him a glance.

Nina smirks at him, never breaking eye contact, as she continues to melt into Betty's hug of sympathy.

The moment the words, "It's creepy," had left her lips and his face twisted in anger a few days before this whole thing, Nina knew that she had crossed a line in hers and Peter's relationship (a relationship that she was supposed to erase from his memory until he decided to be a fucking nuisance) as the boy who she knew as soft and timid called her a bitch. Now it was just a game of cat and mouse, but Nina wasn't really one to like losing.