01

Afterglow - Taylor Swift

———————————————————————

Present Day - Three Years Later

"These boxes heavy as fuck mom." I groaned as I picked up another plain brown box. This time, this one was labeled "kitchen".

"Juliana Annalise Walker. Don't use that fowl language with me." Mom scolded, picking up another one of the seemingly endless brown boxes in our moving truck.

I never knew we had this much shit until we started packing everything up to move back to the east coast. All the sudden, things I never even knew we had started appearing out of thin air as we packed up our belongings.

When my parents told me that we're moving back to New York for my senior year, I was less than thrilled to find out. I've established a life in California. I had plenty of friends, a good tennis career, held an officer position in many clubs, was valedictorian, and most of all, I was happy there. To hear that I have to leave that all behind my senior year made me both sad and angry.

Not to mention, we're moving back to the same town I left a certain someone in. A certain someone who's been plaguing my mind all these years since I left him behind in New York.

It was never my intention to lie to Jace all those years ago, but I didn't have the heart to tell him I was leaving because once upon a time, Jace Lockheart was my entire world.

The first time I laid my eyes on him, I knew I was hooked. He was gorgeous even at seven years old. Blonde hair, green eyes, what's there not to like.

I stared at him as he and his little sister looked around the playground on that fateful day. His sister took off towards the swings as little Jace stood behind his mom, looking shyly around. That was until he looked over at me, playing in that sandbox, and my cheeks heated up. To my surprise, the little boy with blonde hair came stomping over only to shock me causing me to wreck my sand castle. All was well though, we ended up becoming best friends.

Years passed, and we continued to live in this youth and innocence as we became closer and did everything together.

Everything changed a month before 8th grade ended. My parents got a job offer in California, and they announced to me that we're moving there towards the beginning of summer.

My whole world came crashing down on me at 14 years old. I cried, screamed, and protested to my parents telling them we couldn't move, but they took the job offer already and I had no choice.

Defeated, I went to my room, staring at the calendar hanging on my wall.

I had exactly one month until I left.

One month to soak in all the time with Jace Lockheart before I had to leave.

One month to tell him I'm leaving.