06

Common Sense - Joshua Bassett

———————————————————————

I never meant to hurt Juliana Walker

My heart broke leaving Julie in the bathroom. Seeing her vulnerable because of me, broke me even more.

I'm a coward. Instead of talking to Julie, I deflected all the pain she's caused me onto her. All the pent up sadness and anger I felt from four years ago came flooding into my body when Devin whispered, "go get her".

I don't know what set me off, but somehow it smacked reality back into me. I wasn't supposed to be laughing and enjoying myself with Julie. I'm supposed to hate and resent her because I can't put myself through that pain again, ever again.

I originally planned to let her down slowly, but common sense isn't common when I think of her. Seeing her again, all dough eyed and innocent just like the day she left me, got me angry. I combusted and took my anger out on her.

I didn't care at the time. I just wanted Julie to feel the hurt I felt when all the sudden, your best friend drops you in an instant.

Selfish, stupid, I know, and when the moment passed and I saw Julie again, I instantly regretted it.

She put up a good poker face, trying to act strong, but I know her and it broke me when it looked like she got her heart ripped out. All because I'm a coward.

I don't deserve Julie. I truly don't.

The worst blow to it all was when I came home from hockey practice. I flicked on my light and peeked out my window, and the sight absolutely shattered my heart.

Julie's curled into a ball, surrounded by tissues, with puffy red eyes and a raw nose, sitting in that damn bay window, shattered my heart into thousands of fragmented pieces.

She's been crying over me for, what seems like a long time, and I knew then and there I need to make it up to Julie. Big time.

———————————————————————

Devin catches up to me while I walk towards chem.

Then guilts been eating at me all night. I couldn't sleep a wink.

I've been mentally preparing what to say to Julie, but nothing I've come up with is redeemable quality.

How are you supposed to approach your ex-best friend that you just essentially told to fuck off that you're sorry?

Devin's arm slung around my shoulders, breaking me out of my trance.

"What's wrong with you cap?" Devin asks. I look over at my four eyed, blonde best friend, shrugging.