10

The next month passes by in a quick blur: go to school, argue with Julie, annoy Julie, go to hockey, sleep, repeat

I have to hand it to Julie and I. We established quite a routine.

———————————————————————

Monday - Three Weeks Ago

I walk into calculus seeing Julie already sitting in her desk, leg bouncing uncontrollably.

"Did you see the test scores yet in the gradebook?" Julie asks as I slide into my desk.

I shake my head. "You?"

Julie shakes her head, playing with her hoodie strings. "No. I've been too nervous too."

I don't blame her. This is past derivatives test was hard, and there's only two unit tests being put in the gradebook for this marking period so it can significantly impact our grade.

"Ok class. I'm handing back your tests now. While you're going over them, put up any questions you'll like to be shown or explained in further detail."

Miss. Rice starts to make her way through the rows, handing back each student's test face down.

I swear this lady is taking her sweet time, and the anticipation is killing Julie and I.

Finally she reaches our desks. She places both tests face down, smiling at the two of us before going to give Madison and Parker their tests.

Julie turns around. "On the count of three, we flip them over and see our scores."

I nod, hands slightly shaking as I grab a hold of the paper.

"Three." Julie starts off.

"Two."

"One."

Both of us flip over our tests, face up, on my desk.

Written in red ink on the top of my test is a 98.

Written on Julie's test is a 95.

Julie eyes widen in horror as she stares down at our tests.

"Ha! I got a higher score!" I brag. I don't mean to be a dick about it, but this is the first time I've bested Julie academically this year and now with the stakes being higher, might as well celebrate.

Madison turns around looking between the two of us. "You two are ridiculous."

Julie pulls at her hair, looking through her test, still in disbelief. "I studied! I was sure I was going to get a higher score!"

I hold up my paper, grinning like a Cheshire cat, wiggling the stupid paper in her face. "Well this says opposite."

Julie shakes her head, pulling out her phone. "Check your total grade."