24

Sunday went by as sluggish as I felt

During the ride home from the game, no one talked about the giant elephant in the room. We barely talked at all. We just sat in silence, listening to the radio or on our phones, for the majority of the car ride.

Devin was supposed to stay the night, but he decided to take off early, claiming he wasn't feeling well. I know Devin didn't stay the night to give me some time to cool off and process what happened at the game.

So, I spent Sunday in a complete daze. My body on auto-pilot for the whole day, barely eating and only lightly snacking instead of eating a full meal. I didn't even do my homework or study. I didn't do... anything really.

I kept replaying the interactions I had with Juliana.

Why did it hurt so bad seeing her with Parker? Seeing her standing next to him, looking so happy wearing one of his t-shirts, why did it hurt me so bad?

Why was I so jealous? I have no right to be. Juliana isn't mine. She was never mine to begin with, so what's with the jealousy?

And why, why every single time I see her - no matter what - my heart skips a beat?

I drum my fingers against the cool countertop as I wait for people to fill into the classroom.

I glance over at the door and around the room and fellow classmates of mine start filing in, talking to each other while some are last minute finishing the homework due today.

I take a peak at the clock.

Five minutes until class starts, and no sign of Juliana. Maybe luck is on my side and I don't need to see Juliana today.

A familiar laugh is heard from outside the door.

Fuck my life.

And there she is with her long, raven hair tired up in a bun. She's wearing her contacts today along with a black Nike zip-up and black sweats.

Even in glasses and sweats, she still looks pretty.

What am I saying?

Juliana says goodbye to someone, and the flash of blonde hair gives it away that she was saying goodbye to Parker.

"Hey Jace." Juliana says happily, setting her stuff down next to me.

I mumble a 'hi' before picking up my phone to mindlessly scroll, wanting to avoided this entire interaction.

So what if I'm scrolling through old messages? At least it delays this entire interaction.