05

1 step forward, 3 steps back - Olivia Rodrigo

———————————————————————

Jace and I avoided each other like the plague in chemistry

Jace and I avoided each other like the plague in chemistry. No eye contact, sitting on opposite ends of the lab table. It was so awkward. I swear you could cut the tension with a knife.

When the bell rang, Jace booked it out of there leaving his buddy behind, chasing him down the hallway.

I went to tennis practice after, and luckily, the coach pushed off challenge matches to the first day of school since many players missed preseason.

Everyone on the team was extremely nice to me, and Madison, the girl in my calculus class, was number one in the power rankings... before I beat her out in a challenge match.

Surprisingly, there were no hard feelings. She even complimented me afterwards. We hit it off, and I found out Madison is super sweet even asking if I wanted to grab dinner with her after practice sometime.

I feel bad for beating Madison no matter how much she reassured me she's fine. Some of these girls like Madison have been on the team since freshman year, yet here I am, a newcomer, taking away their spot.

It doesn't feel right regardless of how much praise I got from the coach and my parents.

I spent a majority of my night setting up my room, organizing my closet, and lounging around.

After organizing my closet, I sit in the bay window I absolutely love, listening to music, while reading a book.

The bright lights from the window across from mine break me away from the fictional world.

Jace enters his room, hair wet from practice, with his giant hockey bag and sticks. Jace runs his hand through his hair, a sight I'm all too excited to see, and places all his belongings down. He sits down at his desk, pulling out his laptop as he starts typing on it.

I don't know how I'm going to avoid Jace Lockheart under these circumstances.

Do I even want to avoid him? No, but I don't know how to start a conversation with him. It's just awkward right now.

Jace looks up from his laptop, and our eyes meet again. I swear my heart stops every time we make eye contact which isn't much recently, but when we do, I get butterflies in my stomach. Maybe it's the anxiety.

He raises his hand, giving me a small wave. He looks a little creeped out which is understandable because he caught me staring at him not once but twice.

My cheeks flush, and I pull up the blanket to my face as I awkwardly wave back.

I think this beats our awkward chemistry class today.

Jace breaks our gaze and gets up, grabbing a notebook out of his backpack.

A little disappointed, I pick up my book to begin reading again, but what surprises me is Jace holding up his notebook with "how are you doing?" written in black sharpie.