13

Back To December (Taylor's Version) - Taylor Swift

———————————————————————

I tap my pencil, staring at the clock hanging above the door

I tap my pencil, staring at the clock hanging above the door. It's almost dead silent in the room, the air vent and Miss. Rice shuffling papers only being heard.

I shift in my seat, my thighs sticking to the seat due to wearing shorts, and I play with the sleeves of my hoodie.

Where is he?

Miss. Rice peers up through her glasses at the clock, shaking her head, before going back to organize the papers she's shuffling through.

Light footsteps are heard, and Jace walks through the door with two Starbucks refreshers in his hand.

"Jace Lockheart. I hope that's not the reason why you're late." Miss. Rice says flatly, but her smirk shows she's joking.

"I'm sorry Miss. Rice." Jace says, placing his drink on his desk, sliding into his seat which is right next to mine. He then reaches over and places the other drink on my desk. "Starbucks accidentally made two of my drink when I only ordered one, so that's why I was late."

I look between him and the drink, but Jace continues to stare straight ahead, sipping on his refresher.

Miss. Rice looks between the two of us, smiling. "I'll excuse you." She smirks at me before going to her laptop to type something.

Once I realize Jace isn't going to say something about the drink, I sigh and turn the drink around to read the label.

Strawberry Aqui Refresher, light ice with lemonade.

My go-to Starbucks drink.

Miss. Rice walks over to our desks, sitting down in one in front of us. "Since Mrs. High couldn't make it today to serve your detention, I'm proctoring it. I have quite a bit on my plate, but Mrs. High requested instead of you two sitting here for two hours on a Saturday morning doing nothing," Miss. Rice hands is two sheets of paper "that you two learn how to get along."

I look down, and in big, bold letters it reads "get to know your partner" with over 50 questions to ask each other.

"What are we in?" Jace scoffs. "The third grade?"

Finally, one thing we can agree on.

Miss. Rice raises her hands in defense. "I'm just doing my job. She requests that you have these all filled and handed in by the end of detention." Miss. Rice gets up from the desk, heels clicking against the floor as she goes back to her desk, collecting her papers. "I need to make copies, and unlike Mrs. High, I trust the two of you to be alone. Plus, I think you two would 'bond' more without your teacher in the room."