Prologue

Thin, hot white branches streaked across the sky and tore off the limb of a tree, clapping to announce its presence. Horses whinnied in alarm, shaking their heads with wide eyes, but bridles kept them on the dark dirt path. A single light illuminated behind them, swinging on a hook and doing little to expose more than a few meters ahead.

Maran sat at the end of the reigns, a thick cloak the only protection he had against the storm. He struggled to keep his eyes open under the sharp needles of raindrops, and his numb fingers shook as he tried to keep the horses steady.

"Are we nearly there?" a frightened voice called from inside the carriage.

"It must be here somewhere," Maran replied. He chanced a glance behind him. His heart sank when he saw a dark prone figure shudder from the harsh movement. "It must be. For her sake."

Another bolt of lightning struck dangerously close to the carriage, allowing a flash of light to reveal what the single lantern could not. Nestled between two large oaks, a structure with edges too sharp to be natural seemed to materialise from the inky blackness. Maran blinked. Flecks of fire hissed and fell silent. Hope drove him forward.

"I-I think I found it, Soiya. Hang on!"

Soiya's reply was incomprehensible. Heavy raindrops were nearly as loud as the rumble of lightning, but even they were drowned away by the pounding of Maran's own heart.

The horses clopped on, and after a few moments, Maran worried that he may have been mistaken. Then in a bright flash, Maran saw the dark shape of a cottage looming over his carriage. He pulled hard on the reigns, sending the horses askew and throwing the carriage onto one wheel. His wife screamed from inside as the carriage began to tip over. Wood splintered, water splashed, and Maran flew off his seat. He landed on harsh rocky ground, burning his joints in sharp stones.

"Soiya! Misa!" In a panic, Maran crawled to the tipped carriage. The lantern was his only guide. His hand gripped the wood and forced him to stand. "Soiya! Soiya! Misa must be unharmed!"

He peeked through the window. Relief washed over him when he saw Soiya sprawled against the bottom door with Misa in her arms. Soiya groaned.

"Take her," she said. "She's running out of time."

Maran nodded and climbed over the carriage to open the door. Leaning inside, he managed to grab ahold of his daughter and pull her into his chest. For a second, he cradled her. Then he whirled around, ignoring the sting on his knees, and marched forward to the wooden cottage that now stood before him.

He hesitated. Then, when he saw Misa's pale, sickly face, he steeled his resolve and kicked at the door.

"Tika, witch of the woods!" he called. "Open the door to your home. I have come with a bargain."

He stood waiting. Nothing but the howl of the wind and the drum of the rain filled his ears. Anger, desperation boiled, and Maran raised his foot to kick at the door once more. His foot lifted, then flung forward. And met nothing but air.

Surprised, Maran stumbled forward. He heard the door slam behind him, the wind rushing past his ears, and a strangled cry escaping his throat. His grip on Misa tightened. Desperate to keep his daughter safe, he twisted around, intending to hit the floor first and cushion the fall. Maran braced himself for the impact.

And found himself floating in midair. His body rose until both feet were firmly on the ground.

"I didn't expect visitors in a storm this monstrous," a sweet voice resonated within the room, spreading through the space so its source could not be located. "You must be quite desperate to have come here in this weather."