Chapter 34

Setting her paintbrush down, Misa weaved around the supplies Royle had gotten for her, careful to not spill or drop anything, before she broke into a run to greet Royle in the sand. Her pounding footsteps alerted him, and he pulled his feet from the water.

"Misa," he was saying, pushing up against his knees to stand. "Have you finished your-"

She didn't let him finish as she leaped into him, throwing her arms around him. Royle nearly lost his balance, but he somehow managed to brace himself before they both plunged into the water.

"Thank you, Royle!" Misa buried her face into his chest, loving how safe she felt in his arms. "Thank you, so, so much! You have no idea how happy I am right now!"

"It-it was nothing." His arms came around her, pressing against her waist.

Misa pulled back, giggling when she saw him avoiding her gaze like a shy schoolboy. "It's everything. It means the world to me, Royle. I want you to know that."

"So, you've finished it?"

Misa nodded. "Yes, I have. Would you like to see it?"

"I would love to."

They had lowered their voices, and Misa was struck by how beautiful he was under the glow of the setting sun. Her heart began to hammer against her chest. The thoughts she'd left at their new accommodation came rushing back, and suddenly, it was too hot. She couldn't help but stare, yearning to feel his lips on hers again, wondering how thrilling it would be to tangle up in her bedsheets with him.

Her throat bobbed, her heart constricted. A hint of her fear seeped in, mingling with her confusing desires. Misa was all too aware of how her body was pressed against his, and as if a switch had been flicked, she pushed him away and jumped back to maximise the distance between them.

Only, she'd forgotten they were standing at the edge of a dock, and her sudden force had Royle splashing into the lake.

"Royle!" Misa rushed forward, sliding to her knees and leaning over the dock. "Oh, heavens! I'm so sorry!"

Royle emerged from the water, coughing and gasping for air.

"Misa," he said through gritted teeth.

"Sorry!" she exclaimed. "I'm so, so sorry! I wasn't thinking! I was just...And now you're all wet! I'm sorry, Royle!"

"Is this how you thank people?" Royle said, arching a brow. "By tossing them into the lake?"

"No! I didn't mean to! I just..." She flushed at the forbidden thoughts that had invaded her mind. What was wrong with her?

"Nevermind that," Royle said. "Help me up, Misa."

"What? Oh, yes. Yes, of course." Misa leaned down, stretching out her hand. A thought niggled in the back of her mind. How was she meant to pull him up? He was larger than her, with the added weight of water pulling him down. There would be no way she could haul him back onto the deck. But, by the time Misa realised this, by the time she caught the mischievous twinkle in his eyes, it was too late. Like a cat that had been waiting for the perfect moment to strike, Royle shot his hand up, grabbed her wrist and yanked.

Misa didn't have time to brace herself as she fell face first into the lake. She was met with a mouthful of water and a sharp sting up her nose. She flailed, lungs burning for air, until Royle pulled her to the surface.

Misa spluttered and coughed, hacking for the air that released the burn in her chest. She clasped onto Royle, desperate, afraid to let go. This was what drowning felt like. Burning in freezing water, silently suffocating, with no semblance of anything solid. Her arms and legs flapping, kicking, slicing through the water as if nothing was there. Misa never wanted to experience it again.