Chapter 32

Royle didn't let Misa stray away from him as they made their journey back. The group trekked down the slope of the mountain, toward the lake, where the horses and Min-Min had been staying for the past two days. All the while, Royle had his hand clamped over Misa's, glancing at her every few steps as if to confirm that she was still there.

When they reached the base of the mountain, and Misa caught a glimpse of the carriage, she cleared her throat and attempted to pull away from him.

He wasn't having it.

"Royle," Misa finally said, nudging him with her elbow. She ignored the deep chuckle that rumbled from Sha'ka's chest. The witch ushered Brin and Leira forward, leaving Misa and Royle to lag behind.

"No," he simply replied even though Misa had said nothing but his name. His grip tightened enough to be uncomfortable, though not enough to be painful. Misa had a feeling another attempt to pull away would cross that line.

"Royle, I'm not going anywhere." Misa tugged her arm back, prompting them to stop. "You can let go of me. I'll be right here."

"Let you go?" Royle turned so he was facing her. "Do you know what happened the last time you asked me to let you go?"

"You're acting like a child!" Misa held up her hand, and in turn his. She noticed vague scratches running along his knuckle, but she was too fed up to really care. "You're grabbing onto me as if-"

"I'm going to lose you?" Royle offered. "Because I did. For a few seconds, I lost you, Misa. You stopped breathing, your heart stopped beating. You died. And, I thought..." His eyes glazed over, and he looked away, letting out a shaky breath. "It was only the shock the healer inflicted on your heart that brought you back."

"Brin saved my life?" Misa looked past Royle, to the small witch who was untying the boat they had 'borrowed.'

"That's besides the point." Royle loosened his grip slightly. "Never do that again, Misa. Swear it."

Misa chuckled in spite of how serious Royle was. She squeezed his hand. "Fine, fine. Whatever makes you happy. Can you let go now? We've been walking for ages, and I'm sure our hands are coated in sweat."

Royle's jaw clenched. A few moments passed with him staring at her, then at their intertwined fingers. Misa expected him to refuse and continue to pull her along, but with a sigh, he reluctantly released his hold on her. The air was cold against her skin. She was right about the sweat. The exercise and heat did not make prolonged skin contact pleasant. Even still, he kept close to her as they approached their destination.

"Hey, Min-Min," Misa greeted, giggling when the cat bounded over with a joyful mewl. It pounced into her arms, and Misa gladly squeezed it to her chest, rubbing her cheek against its fur. "You've been a good girl?"

"Hardly," Royle retorted. "You have no idea how much of a pain it was to keep it away from the cave. Last night, I found it snuggled up next to you and had to personally bring it back down here."

"Was that why your hand was all scratched up?" Misa chuckled. "You could have just left her, you know? She was only worried."

"And have you inhaling her fur?" Royle shook his head, making quick work of untying his horse. He tightened its girth and made sure the carriage was secure before telling the others to get on.

Leira silently climbed on the back. Brin and Sha'ka politely declined, sticking to the plan of returning by boat. Misa started her climb to join Leira, but Royle stopped her by grabbing her wrist.

"Royle!" Misa snapped. She let Min-Min go in the carriage, and the cat nuzzled up next to Leira. The girl flinched and avoided looking Misa's way.

"Sit at the front?" he asked.