Chapter 2

How could she have been so stupid?

Misa gasped for breath as she leaned against the brick wall. The moon shone above her, but darkness crept in from all directions. A shiver ran down her spine. She had never been outside so late, and she was surprised to find herself wanting to go back to the safety of her home.

Pulling her cloak around her shoulders, Misa continued on. She had no idea where she was or how she had gotten there, but she couldn't stay in one spot for long. Footsteps thudded behind her. She quickened her steps.

"Where did you go?" a rough, cold voice spoke from the shadows. Misa froze, unable to pinpoint from which direction it had come from. She could only hope that the man who had followed her would eventually tire and leave, but he had been chasing her for hours and didn't seem like he would leave anytime soon.

She had noticed him tailing her when she parted the large crowd to snake through a shortcut but hadn't thought anything of it until he ripped her cloak from her shoulders. Frightened, Misa had bolted away without a second thought, and in her frantic dash, left Min-Min behind. Now she was alone, unable to find her way back to her home and cornered like a rat.

"You're a mighty pretty one," the voice continued. "I'll enjoy ripping up your flesh and ridding the evil from this earth. It's impossible that someone human would be as beautiful as you are, Miss. Only witches have the power to make themselves appear young and pretty after they take the souls of innocent children."

Misa shuddered as a cold finger of terror traced down her spine. She had heard so much about the witch killer that she thought she would be able to handle herself if she ever came to meet him, but she never anticipated the pure abject horror he brought with him. She now understood why none of the other young women could run from him as he butchered them like pigs. Her legs were shaking with so much fear that she was afraid she would fall if she took even one step.

Her mind went blank. Misa tripped and stumbled. Strength seeped out of her knees, leaving them wobbly with too much weight to hold. If it weren't for the wall supporting her, she would have collapsed to the floor.

"I can smell you, witch," the killer snarled. His footsteps echoed off the alley walls. Misa could finally pinpoint his location, but all she could do was watch as he stepped out into the moonlight. His eyes were shadowed by the hood of his coat, but his teeth flashed against the soft lunar shine. A blade glinted like a fang from his hand.

A wave of dread washed over Misa. She could hardly breathe. Her lungs burned for air. Her heart constricted. "P-please," she whispered. "Please, leave me alone."

The man laughed as if he enjoyed her fear. "How I want to carve into your skin. So smooth. Tell me, is the witch's secret to beauty turning her skin into porcelain? Well, I'll find out soon enough."

Something awoke inside Misa then. A pulse engulfed her, leaving her whole body tingling. As if empowered by a force, Misa pushed herself from the wall and approached the witch killer with a confidence she did not feel.

"Are you really going to attack a helpless girl on the street?" Misa stood under the moon and gave a slight smile when she saw the man hesitate.

"A witch. You're really a witch!"

"A witch, you say?" Misa tilted her head as if she never heard the term before. She gave a small pout. "Why would you say that about me? I'm hurt. Please, mister, I'm telling you the truth. Won't you let me go?"

The man stepped back in terror. "What are you doing to me? Witch! You're a witch!" He dropped his knife. "Stop it! Stop this right now!"

He gripped his heart and fell to his knees. "My heart! It's pounding so fast. No, stop! Please, make it stop! My heart will explode. It's beating too fast! Too fast!"