Chapter 15

Misa couldn't face the captain the next morning. They had their breakfast in silence, packed some lunch, and headed out. The captain was equally quiet, and Misa's stomach dropped when she thought of what almost happened the night before. 

Even the cat seemed to sense the discomfort, choosing to sleep next to the coachman than staying inside the carriage with Misa. The betrayal stung more than it should have.

She couldn't enjoy the breeze or the green foliage of passing trees. The memory nagged at her relentlessly, forcing her to convince herself with so many excuses that she wondered why she was even concerned. Nothing had happened, and nothing was ever going to happen.

"Miss Carpenter."

Misa jumped. She kept her eyes outside the window, too scared of what she would see if she faced him. "Yes?"

"I think we should discuss what happened last night." 

Misa could detect a reluctance in the statement. She shut her eyes and cursed. There was no way out of it. She had to talk about it, so she could come to terms with it. She wasn't going to let some emotional breakdown get in the way of her mission.

"What happened was all an accident," Misa said. "Nothing transpired between us. You helped me gain control of my magic, and that's all there was."

"Why don't you look at me when you say that?"

Misa gulped. She didn't want to. She was afraid that if she did, the brief attraction she had felt towards him would return.

"I don't have to," Misa replied. "I know the truth. I know what really happened, and it was nothing."

"I agree," the captain said. "Nothing happened. May I suggest we forget about it and return to our old dynamic? It wouldn't be ideal if we can't follow through with the mission because we are too awkward to face each other."

Misa tore her eyes from the blurred scenic view. She cautiously trailed her gaze through the carriage: past the window, the cushioned seats with buttons pinning them down, the washed-out wood lining the leather. She tensed, expecting a reaction that would indicate that her feelings had changed for the captain. A flutter in her stomach. A loud pounding from her heart. Or maybe a shyness under his gaze. She was relieved to find none of those when her gaze finally landed on him, though it annoyed her that he was easy on the eyes. 

He sat poised, legs crossed and his right hand pulling at the loose button on his left sleeve. He peered at her from under the shadow of his cap.

"I'd like that," Misa said. He visibly relaxed. The thread barely holding the button snapped. With a frown, the captain closed his fist over it.

"Very well." His stringent demeanor returned. "Shall we go through what we couldn't, then?"

Misa shrugged. "I'm wide awake now."

He paused to collect his thoughts. "We'll stay in Harthem for about four weeks, five if things get messy. The meets are sparsely spread out, giving us ample time to adapt to the city and begin our investigation. There's a secret market that does dealings with witches somewhere in the middle of the city. Our priority is to infiltrate it. Once we find it, you will ask for help, saying that you are a new witch looking to start witchcraft. If you get accepted, you'll always have a way to contact witches from all over Plathea. That is our goal."

"Right," Misa said. She repeated the plan, going over every detail until the captain was satisfied.

"We'll arrive by sundown tomorrow. The day after will be the first meet, then we'll have five days to start our search. Once you have been accepted as a witch in the market, we can start looking for the secret meets Nisha holds."