Chapter 21

The guards were rapt with attention, likely from the tense commotion already spreading through the palace. The news of the prince's death hadn't quite reached everyone, but Captain Lerok's busy men had drawn enough intrigue to spark curious gossip.

The men at Misa's door spotted Royle long before he reached them. They studied him with open curiosity as if to silently ask what was going on.

"Open the door," Royle said.

"Sir?" replied the younger of the two guards.

Royle met the eyes of the guard. "I said, open the door."

"But—"

Royle grabbed the keys from the guard and held it up. "Which one is it?"

The guard glanced at his bearded companion. He scratched his head. "The one with the flowers. But, I don't think—"

Royle knocked on the door and didn't wait for Misa to answer. "I'm coming in, Misa. You have some explaining to do."

He shoved the key into the door and unlocked it. Before he opened the door, he threw the keychain to the guard and said, "I suggest you take a break for a while. Don't stray too far. I won't be long."

The guards exchanged glances, but when Royle barked another order, they nodded and scurried away. Royle slipped into Misa's chambers, shaking off the feeling that he was intruding. It wasn't time to think of what was proper. He had to confirm that Misa had nothing to do with Perrin's death.

"You shouldn't be in here," Misa said. She sat on a couch facing the lit fireplace. Royle's heart pounded as he approached her, the pain of her cold distance piercing each beat. "Please, leave."

"Perrin was found dead in the royal library with his neck broken." Royle stopped behind her, so close that if he reached forward, he could touch her hair. She stiffened, subtle but not enough that Royle didn't notice.

"He's dead?"

Royle didn't know what hurt more: the fact that she didn't trust him enough to tell him, or that she was still lying.

"I suspect you were the last person to see him alive." Please. "When did you last see him?"

She was quiet for a moment. Royle wished he could see her face, but right now, he needed to maintain his role as the captain. He had to know what happened the day Perrin died, so he could figure out how he and Misa could get out of whatever trap they'd fallen into.

"After dinner," she replied softly. "He said he was going to go to the library and asked if I wanted to join him. I refused. That was the last time."

Royle remembered the terror in her eyes the day after she spent time with the prince. "Tell me the truth, Misa," he said. "You didn't know he was dead?"

There was a second of hesitation, so subtle Royle wouldn't have noticed it if he hadn't known Misa. The stutter of the first word, the way she bowed her head as if she wanted to hide.

"N-no. How could I?"

Royle took in a breath and asked the question he dreaded to know the answer to, "Was it Nisha's doing?"

Misa shook her head. "Nisha was with me. We had nothing to do with it."

We. Royle's fingers curled into fists. Since when was there a 'we' between Misa and Nisha?

"Done interrogating my sister, Captain?"

Royle whirled around. Nisha's pale face peered at him from the shadows. Betrayal stabbed him, tearing into his already shredded heart. "W-what is this, Misa? Why is she in here?"