Chapter 26

Misa tossed her night cap to the captain, letting her hair fall in tangles to her back. She took a seat at the fountain base to pull her socks over her feet and haphazardly stuff them into her boots.

"What do you think you're doing?" Captain Bentham said, dangling her nightcap on a finger. His scowl deepened when she handed him her sketchbook.

"Well, if I want to go see a witch, I have to look like a girl, don't I?" Misa paused, wondering if she should release the band flattening her chest. She took one look at the captain and decided against it. Her cloak should cover her well enough, anyway.

"You're going down, now?"

"Yeah."

Misa stamped a foot down on the stony step. Darkness beckoned to her from beneath, and a dank smell rifted through the passageway like it had been desperate for fresh air.

"Do you mind if I take the lamp with me? It's a bit dark."

"Yes, I mind." The captain grabbed her arm. "You are not going down there until we figure out what to do. We must take precautions."

"Another plan?" Misa resisted the urge to roll her eyes. "I'll be fine, Captain. I'll run out of there the moment I sense trouble. If it makes you feel better, wait out here until I get back."

Silence. Silence except for the cold breeze greeting Misa at the entrance, gently humming against the stone walls. She could see the captain considering it, his mind whirring to come up with a solution. Misa was about to speak, but he beat her to it.

"Very well." He grabbed the lamp that sat on the fountain. "I'll come with you."

"But—"

"I'll stay well hidden away should you meet anyone, but I'm coming with you. It's too dangerous to go down there by yourself, not knowing who or what you might bump into."

The monsters in the dark. Misa shivered, but not from the cold. She didn't want to think about it, and as much as she hated to admit it, she was glad the captain had insisted on following her down the dark passageway. She forced a smile, hoping to hide her unease.

"Then, let's go." She took the lamp from him and descended. His footsteps soon followed, and she hated that she felt safe by his mere presence.

Her boots tapped against the smooth steps, echoing off the walls. The captain matched her pace to hide his footsteps with hers. Somehow, he had reduced the claps each heel made to the point that Misa thought he had gone back the way he'd come.

The staircase spiralled, and it took another few minutes before they reached the expanse where it ended. It was dark, and the wind was harsher. Misa leaned back towards the captain, letting his warmth envelope her from the cold silence in the room.

Misa's legs trembled. It took an encouraging nudge from the captain for her to enter the secret passageway beneath the streets of Harthem. She wondered how she would meet a witch here, but that question was soon answered when the enchanted paper dissolved into a glowing orb. It was somewhat different from the light Sha'ka and her companion had created that night Misa sent a pulse for help. Dimmer, shifting in front of her in a way that reminded her of the words in the riddle. Another spell hidden in a single strip of paper, Misa marvelled. She sensed from it a witch's presence, subtle like a scent carried in the breeze.

"Who dares enter the underpass?" A raspy voice, harsh and powerful enough to make the walls tremble, escaped the orb.

Misa swallowed. The lamp swung from her grip. She fought the urge to look behind her, where she was sure the captain remained hidden behind the bend of the staircase. "I am Misa Carpenter, here to request access to the witch market."