Chapter 1

The first time Misa snuck out of her room, her foot had gotten caught on the windowsill, and she had fallen chin first onto the grass beneath. She had never smelled anything so fresh and exciting. It had been seven years since her bare feet touched the blades for the first time, and still, she never failed to relish in the freedom of running her toes through the greenery.

A small giggle escaped her lips. Misa drew out her sandals from her hessian bag and dropped them next to her feet. After thoroughly wiggling her toes on the cool grass, she slipped her feet into her shoes. Cold air swept through her hair, and she breathed it in.

"Misa? Have you finished yet?" Elma's soft, timid voice breezed through the window. She had been hired specifically to keep an eye on Misa, but the poor maid was much too naïve to be effective. A twinge of guilt nagged in the back of Misa's mind knowing that she was likely putting Elma in a difficult place by escaping during her watch.

Misa sighed, then leaned into the window until the ledge dug into her midriff. Cupping her mouth, she called, "Not yet, Elma. I'm having some trouble coming up with inspiration. I think I'll need to study Gerputin's paintings before I can continue. Come back in two hours?"

Elma hesitated before she spoke. "T-two hours?"

"I'll be right here, I promise. I haven't caused trouble in three months. Give me a chance, would you?"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that. Very well. Two hours. I'll prepare some tea in the meantime."

"Thanks, Elma! And remember not to interrupt. I don't want to snap at you for scaring me while I paint."

"Of course. I'll take my leave then."

Misa listened until Elma's shuffling faded into silence. She stayed for a few seconds more before slipping to the ground and gently shutting the window.

Two hours. It was a lot shorter than she would have liked, but Misa had to take what she could get. After staying cooped up like a prisoner in her own home for three months, she couldn't take feeling like a chained bird for a moment more. Even two mere hours outside would refresh her for the next period of imprisonment.

When she was certain no one would see her, Misa slipped towards the wall binding the perimeter of the property. It was made of stacked bricks that jut out unevenly, making for an easy climb. The obstacle before her was the reason Misa had chosen to wear a short skirt over black tights rather than the conventional knee-length (or ankle-length) dress most women wore when they had an outing, though dressing in such a way her parents wouldn't approve had an influence in her choice of attire.

Misa slid the straps over her shoulder so the bag hung behind her and reached up for the first ledge. The coarse, gritty rock was like an old friend to her fingers. She crawled up the walls, her hands and feet never touching a protruding brick for more than a second.

She reached the top in a minute, and before thinking twice, she pulled herself over the wall. Using her right foot to push against the stone, she jumped, turned midair, and landed on her sandals.

The open space before her seemed to welcome her back. Misa stalked forward with a grin. Her heart still fluttered at the thought of the little adventure waiting for her.

Misa reached the edge of a dirt road that led into the city. It bustled with men, women, and children. Carts carrying fresh produce wheeled back and forth. The crowd parted for a carriage pulled by two horses.

Glancing back towards the wall of her home, Misa drew her cowl over her head, hiding her glossy black hair from the heat of the sun. She enjoyed the rushing crowd, and she followed the wave of customers into the busy market lying just before the road turned into stone.