Chapter 31

"She'll be here soon."

The ticking of the clock sounded unnaturally loud. Misa shifted on the couch, nervously watching the seconds tick by. A rolled up piece of paper lay on the groove of her lap.

"Are you sure it's okay to give these to her?"

Royle, who was at his desk scribbling something on another plan, replied, "It's fine. Those are our older plans. Granted, there isn't much of a difference, but I've managed to convince Lerok to tweak a few things. It might be enough to catch her off guard, though I doubt she'll be too fazed. I suspect she's prepared for anything."

Misa was too antsy to say anything more. The clock once again became the dominant sound. The subtle clack of Royle's pen on the desk was enough to startle her.

He crossed his arms and leaned his head back with a sigh. His mind seemed to be elsewhere today. Misa wondered if she should ask but a knock at the door drove the thought away.

"It's her," Misa rasped.

Nervously, she stood. The rolled piece of parchment felt heavy in her hand. The door seemed so far away, and Misa inched towards it, hoping against hope that it was just a maid bringing up their dinner.

The next series of knocks were harsher than the first, and Misa knew it was no maid. Carefully, she reached for the knob. Her palms were sweaty.

"Go take a bath, Royle," Misa said as she tightened her grip.

"What?"

"I'll see who it is." She couldn't say much more knowing Nisha might be able to hear. She just hoped he would get the message—she didn't want Nisha to know he knew. "You've been walking around all day. Go and relax."

Maybe it was the fear in her voice or maybe he understood. As Misa instructed, he disappeared into the bathing room without another word. Only when he shut the door did Misa open hers. As she expected, Nisha stood there, her lips drawn to an unpleasant scowl.

"It's not polite to keep your guests waiting." She crossed her arms.

Misa shrugged. "I had to get him to leave. I didn't want him to see you."

Nisha cocked her head, and her displeasure dissolved. "Is that so? Afraid of what will happen if he does." She shook her head and chuckled. "Very well. Make it quick. What have you found?"

Reluctantly, Misa held out the scroll. Nisha's brows shot up. "Well..." She took the parchment and unrolled it. Her gleeful laugh pierced Misa's ears. "I'm impressed! I almost expected you to tell me that you didn't have anything at all." Nisha nodded in satisfaction, rolling up the plans again. "Good, good, Misa. You're getting very good at following orders. You've passed this test with flying colours."

"Test?" Misa trembled. "What would have happened if I failed?"

"Nothing of consequence." Nisha laughed. "Their security is irrelevant. No matter how tight it is, there is nothing they can do. The time has come. What could mere mortals do against us? They will only serve. Just as your cat did."

Misa blinked back tears. She knew Nisha had killed Min-Min, but for the witch to discredit what the cat meant to her...It was all Misa could do to hold back her anger.

"What are you planning?" she dared to ask.

"Patience, dear sister." Nisha grabbed a lock of Misa's hair and twirled it around her finger. "All will be revealed soon. You've waited this long. Surely you can wait one more day. In the meantime, I suggest you enjoy your time with your captain. After tomorrow, he'll be nothing to you."

Cackling to herself, Nisha left. Misa glared at the witch until she was out of sight. She shut the door, now shaking out of fury rather than fear.

Anger bubbled inside of her. Nisha had no right to take them away from her. She had already lost Min-Min. She wasn't going to lose Royle, too.