Chapter 3

The sound of a ticking clock registered in Royle's ears as he suddenly became aware of the stillness that settled inside the commander's office. He realised Walden was waiting for him to respond to something he had said. Royle shrugged, having no idea what the question was.

Walden shook his head. "I have no idea what you were thinking, Captain. Bargaining with the witches?"

"To save an innocent civilian," Royle said. He had twisted the narrative, obviously, but was truthful about the events that had occurred. "And, if I recall correctly, you are in no position to judge me for that."

Walden's face turned red. Royle still remembered the look on the commander's face when he figured out the witches had inside help to orchestrate the accident. Relaying this to the commander had Walden confessing everything in hopes that Royle would understand and cease his investigations.

Walden cleared his throat. "Regardless, I suppose you've no choice. My job was to provide extra security and keep an eye on the witches before and after the signing of the treaty. It's all formalities, really. A captain should do just as fine, especially considering you've met the council on several occasions." He raised a brow at this, still unaware of how or why Royle had met them over the course of his career.

Royle didn't satisfy the commander's curiosity. "Of course. That was part of my bargain, anyhow. I'll be sure to do my best to let the signing go as smoothly as possible."

Frankly, Royle had no idea how the council would react once they found out Nisha was within their palace walls. The witch had been hunted for the better part of the past two decades, and he hoped they would be able to work something out to imprison, if not kill, her without ruining the treaty.

Exhaustion swept over him for the thousandth time that day. Royle held back a yawn and rubbed his eyes. He hadn't been getting any sleep since Misa left with the witches, and he found himself in a sleepless daze when he was trying to think up a plan. Most of the time, his thoughts wound back to Misa and the fear of losing her to Nisha.

He knew she would be safe, considering the guards that would have been sent to keep an eye on them. And, once they were at the palace, Nisha wouldn't be able to lay a hand on Misa, if only to prove that witches weren't savages who turned on one another. Still, it was Nisha, and he knew death was not the only way he could lose Misa.

It also worried him that there was a delinquent prince who had a habit of "playing with pretty ladies". Misa was exactly the kind of woman he would go for, and Royle wasn't sure if her inexperience would give him an advantage. The thought made his blood boil even as he knew that Misa wouldn't give the prince a second glance. At least, Royle was comforted by the fact that Prince Perrin was exactly the kind of man Misa loathed. The prince wouldn't stand a chance against her short temper.

"Very well." Walden stroked his moustache. "I'll transfer the necessary documents to you, then. If it was anyone else, I wouldn't allow it, but since you have proven to be more than capable of handling this kind of pressure, I won't argue. A carriage will be ready to go to the capital tomorrow. If everything I've been told is true, the witches should already be settled in the palace by the time you arrive. I'll leave the rest of the details up for you to review."

"That's fine with me." Royle rubbed his eyes, at the sleep threatening to take over. "Are we finished?"

Walden nodded. "I believe so. If you've got any questions, don't hesitate to come find me." He paused, studying Royle. "By the heavens, Captain. You look awfully tired. Are you alright?"

Royle sighed. "No need to worry, Commander. I'll be sure to get some rest before I present myself to the palace."

"You always did push yourself past your limits. Are you sure you can—"