Chapter 13

The next few days had mostly been filled with plans to send Misa and Torren to Harthem. Misa couldn't look Royle in the eye for the most part, and she only ever went to talk to him when Torren was included in their discussion. Even when Misa snuck to the dungeon in between meal breaks, late in the night, and the early mornings to see Leira, it was through Torren's assistance and not Royle's.

For one, she could not trust that Royle would watch out for her during her visits, and she wasn't sure she'd be able to avoid another intimate moment if she was to be alone with him, especially during the dark hours of the night.

Even now, as she sat next to Torren, watching Royle trace a finger across a piece of paper, she squirmed, almost feeling-wanting-that hand along her own cheek. She hadn't expected Royle to be so distant himself, and for some reason, it made her heart sink. It was for the best, she thought, but perhaps leaving so abruptly wasn't the best decision that night. It had left an awkward rift between them that she was certain would never be fixed.

She blinked, flushing at the sudden attention on her. "P-pardon?"

"Were you even listening?" he shook his head, still acting as if he hadn't almost kissed her just four nights ago.

Torren chuckled from beside her. "You've been quite distracted. We're going over this for the tenth time, and you still haven't gotten the basics of it."

"Torren's leave of absence has been approved," Royle said, "And I've got word from Commander Vortham that he'll be more than willing to have you in his purgehouse."

"Fantastic," Misa drawled. She schooled her expression at the sharp glare Royle shot at her.

"When you're there, be sure to keep out of trouble. If you can, find a witch other than Rithian to teach you how to control yourself. You'll need to figure out how to cloak your magic if you want to hide it from dangerous witches like her."

Misa tapped the black bracelet at the mention of Rithian. Somehow, she doubted it would be that easy to find another witch to teach her. Rithian would have made sure she left a mark claiming Misa as her own to train, and she had a feeling the bracelet played a part in warning off other witches.

Torren shuddered. "A city full of witches. I can't believe one of them has to teach her their ways." His brows creased in worry. "You be sure to not let them corrupt your mind, Misa. Always remember that you're not one of them."

A short huff from the captain told Misa Torren's words had annoyed him. Misa merely smiled. "I know, Torren." She watched Royle through her peripheral vision as she said, "And don't worry about it. I plan on getting rid of the magic as soon as I find a witch who can take it."

Royle stabbed his finger onto the map he laid out for them, making sure the thump it created was hard enough to rattle the table. "I've marked every shop owned by a witch and every bar, inn, and brothel they've been known to gather in. Witches have a meet every week, and you'll be expected to join them once they find out you're residing in Harthem. Keep a low profile and don't attract too much attention to yourself. You should be safe from Nisha when you're with them, but I don't know how long that's going to last. I'll join you as soon as I can. Don't do anything stupid while you're alone."

"She won't be alone," Torren assured. "I'll be with her every step of the way."

Royle rubbed his forehead. "That's what I'm afraid of. Torren, you must understand that the laws in Harthem are different from Giligha. They're much more lax with witches because the cityfolk there tend to have a lot of dealings in the witch market. Witches won't be your only enemy if you try to shake things up. Restrain yourself even if you see a witch. You are not to arrest them without proof, and even then, you must remember you're on leave, not on duty. Leave it to Harthem's purgehouses to take care of them."