Chapter 31

Royle didn't make an effort to hide his displeasure. He hadn't expected that when he came to check on Misa he'd find that she was missing and wait for almost an hour for her to return. He'd suspected she was hiding something from him and now that he'd caught her red-handed, there was no excuse she could hide behind.

Unsurprisingly, Misa's first instinct was to get defensive. She crossed her arms and returned his glare with the same vigour.

"What are you doing in my room? How did you even get in?"

Royle rose from his seat. Oh no, she wasn't going to get away that easy. "Don't turn this on me, Misa. Where have you been?"

Misa was always reckless, but sneaking out at night to do heavens knows what crossed the line. Any mistake she made, any danger she might have come across could undo everything he'd worked for. And what's more, he'd found himself worrying over her. His bargain was to protect her and he couldn't do so when he had no idea where she went by herself.

"I don't have to answer that." Misa pushed past him, heading towards the washroom. Royle wasn't about to let it go. Not this time.

"Misa." He grabbed her arm. It snapped her temper, and Misa whirled around, connecting her palm with his cheek. Royle winced more from the shock of her slap than from the sting of it.

"Don't touch me." She panted. Her arm trembled beneath his grip, and she tried to turn away to hide the terror written all over her face.

Royle didn't let go. Instead, he pulled her closer so his eyes could burn into hers. His cheek throbbed with the heat of her slap, but he was able to rationalise her reactions. Thinking back to the morning at the shed, he easily connected the dots. "You went to see her again, didn't you?" His gaze flickered to her lips, following the soft pink line until a scab confirmed his suspicions. "You did."

"Get out," was all Misa managed through gritted teeth. "Get out before I do something I'll regret."

She pulled away from his grip, and Royle didn't resist this time. Seeing her so frightened, so ready to lash out like a wounded animal, so hurt stirred another kind of fury in him. He tried not to take her words personally, but it was difficult not to care after coming to understand her better.

Rithian was it? Royle filed the name away for later. He'd make sure to deal with her once his business with Nisha was over. But first, he needed Misa to stop hiding things from him.

"I'm not leaving until you tell me what dealings you've been having with that witch." He took on a hard, authoritative voice that he often used in the purgehouse. "I have to know what dangers you've put yourself in so I can come up with a way to work around it. Don't forget the reason you have to put up with her, Misa. She's our key to finding Nisha."

Misa halted, keeping her back towards him. Her hands closed into fists, trembling from her distress.

And finally, dropping her shoulders in defeat, she gave him a proper answer, "She's teaching me how to control my spell. That's all. That's the only reason I've been seeing her."

Royle had figured as much, though he wasn't happy that she kept it from him. "And you didn't think this was important enough to tell me?"

Misa shook her head and shrugged. "No."

Her answer sent a spike of anger through him, but Royle held his composure. He let out a breath, cooling his temper. Blowing up would only make the situation worse, and he was angrier at the witch Rithian than he was at Misa. No need to take it out on the already frightened girl.

"Are you meeting her tomorrow?" he asked, though he already suspected the answer.

Misa stared at her feet, still refusing to look at him. "I am," she whispered, so low that Royle could barely hear her.