Chapter 29

Rithian was not happy. Misa had arrived at the fountain half an hour after their appointed time. Their way to the secret training area was filled with passive aggressive insults that left Misa drained by the time they started.

The night's lesson was similar to their first session, only this time, Rithian made sure to make it even more miserable. And, Misa had to trigger her instinctive spell over and over again until the slightest touch set it off.

Rithian sneered when Misa tried to bewitch her for the last time. "Not good enough. Why don't you try another tactic?"

"I don't get what you—"

"Why is it that when you bewitch me, all I get is a nasty taste at the back of my throat?"

Misa leaned back, trying to put even a little more distance between her and the witch. "I-I don't..."

"Let me ask you another question." Rithian crossed her arms. "Have you ever bewitched a woman?"

A woman? Misa thought hard, sifting through the memories of that tingly magic covering her skin. There were several women she might have bewitched, though it was difficult to determine if they were the true target or if the spell had any effect. She did recall one woman who had given Misa what she wanted after a spell, but she wasn't sure if it was her magic working or if the woman was just really, really kind.

"I don't know," she finally said.

A sharp pain rattled her as the magic within her suddenly jerked outwards. Power radiated from Rithian, her pool of magic drawing Misa's out. "Give me a straight answer, girl. I will not be soft on you today."

The pull strengthened, a hard tug that might have reeled her arteries out of her skin. Misa tried not to cry out. She had to speak through the suffocation. "Y-yes. At least once, I believe it was successful..."

"And what about children?"

"Ch-children?" The mere thought turned her stomach. "No! Never! I would never—"

The pressure stopped. Misa gasped at the sudden release and staggered back as the magic rushed back into her. The witch raised a brow. "As I thought. You're so inexperienced that you only bewitch them in one specific way."

"I didn't know there were more than one bewitching spells," Misa said, a little dryly. Rithian did not appreciate it, evidenced by a hand falling across Misa's cheek.

"I won't tolerate any insolence from you," Rithian warned. "There is more than one way to bewitch someone. The easiest is through attraction—seducing them, if you will."

Misa forced thoughts of the captain out of her mind. She did not bewitch him, at least she didn't remember ever doing so without him breaking her spell. It was drunk talk. That was all.

Rithian continued, "However, there is a limit in attraction. You can only go so far if one is strong enough to resist your advances. Most of the time, it is caused by awareness, repulsion, or apathy. If one does not find you charming, why would they fall into your trap, even if you force them? You'll only reveal yourself and turn them against you."

Misa shuddered. That was why Ervan had acted the way he did. Instead of letting her go, he had practically lost his sanity in his attempt to kill her. "So, what are the other spells?"

"They're not different spells." The witch's tone suggested she thought Misa was stupid. "They're variations. Just a little tweak for you to approach them with a different relationship. If you find an old married woman who has what you need, then it'll be easier to bewitch her by being her daughter instead of her lover. Or take a child to do your bidding. Bewitching them by being a friend or a mother would be far more successful than being something they cannot comprehend. Do you understand?"